Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Super small blue build?

jaybob

Hey i was just fantasizing about a small 445 build the other day, and i kinda wondered if the idea that popped into my head would work, could i use one of DTR's 1.5-2w 445 diodes, and hook it up to a resistor and then an 18650?
or drop the resistor and run it straight through a 10180? I know neither option is very good for the driver but im not looking for a massive run time... how much would you estimate the mw output to be? how long would the diode last?

I'm still new so cut me some slack for my ignorance, i just couldn't find anything on it through the search... thanks for your replies! :thanks:

ARG

Look up the LM317 driver/DLL Driver it's a good DIY Driver that should work for you.

jaybob

The point was i was trying to avoid using a driver, thats been done before, and of all the like 20,000 questions i just asked that didn't answer any of them... :thinking:

JLSE

Members here have hooked a 445 straight to an 18650 with no problems
and a max output of 700mW IIRC.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it, but it has been done and without a resistor...
You will get better results with a boost driver.

jaybob

Thanks for the info wannaburn, any idea how long a diode would last hooked straight to an 18650? also your 2.8 and 3.5w dual diode builds are AWESOME! :)

Hey i was just fantasizing about a small 445 build the other day, and i kinda wondered if the idea that popped into my head would work, could i use one of DTR's 1.5-2w 445 diodes, and hook it up to a resistor and then an 18650?
or drop the resistor and run it straight through a 10180? I know neither option is very good for the driver but im not looking for a massive run time... how much would you estimate the mw output to be? how long would the diode last?

I'm still new so cut me some slack for my ignorance, i just couldn't find anything on it through the search... thanks for your replies! :thanks:

that wouldn't even be close to the smallest 445 build.

jaybob

Is that you, Kipkay?
Don't be silly, kipkay couldn't type this, im sure he has to have burned his fingers off or his eyes out by now, right along with everyone who tries his builds and doesn't use glasses! :p

that wouldn't even be close to the smallest 445 build.
I never said it was the smallest build. However i would like to make the smallest 1 watt build i can as a novice, if you have a way to shrink it any smaller i would loveeeee to hear it though! :whistle:

it's expensive because you have to get creative with batteries/driver/ and a must for a compact high power build would be a jayrob g1 lens.

michael.

Fiddy

using a resistor to limit current is a lot more inefficient than a DDL driver, not to mention there's no regulation so as the battery voltage decreases so does the brightness.

LaZeRz

I guess you can buy a really small AAA host and get a module or direct press heatsink made to fit inside :)

mpwn

Check out jayrobs kit there super small super power :)