Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

super glue misadventures

Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
466
Likes
6
Points
0
this is the place to post your stories about super glueing gone bad. doesnt matter if you glued body parts together or screwed something up.

i for one hove glued my fingers together once which was not fun. i used a razor blade to cut them apart.
 

styropyro

New member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
5,385
Likes
477
Points
0
Well, last year when I would get bored in class I would take out a little tube of super glue and glue my fingers together. It was great entertainment and I did it everyday, I'm surprised the teachers never caught me by the fumes. Well anyway I had a new tube I was opening, and the thing popped in my hand. Without thinking I took my other hand and tried picking up the popped tube from my glued hand and my two hands were stuck together. When I tried to pull them apart I made it worse so my fingers were stuck and both of my hands were in a super-mess. I was in a group assigned by the teacher to write a summary that we would read to the class and he called on me to read it. Stupidly I ripped my fingers and hands apart and it torn a little skin off with it, but it really wasn't that bad, so I got up and read my summary. That was the last time for a couple of weeks that I gled my fingers together.
 

Things

New member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
7,549
Likes
349
Points
0
umm wel i have no idea how i did it, but somehow one of my eyelids got glued together :D it came of a little while after though ;D ;D
 

Rhith

New member
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
833
Likes
1
Points
0
This didn't happen to be me but, my neighbor/best friend glued a watter bottle top to his eye brow and then someone ripped it off leaving a nice little bald patch. :D
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
74
Likes
0
Points
0
ive had a load of unfortunate times with superglue but one what sticks in mind(no pun intended) is getting my finger glued to my eyebrow and eyelid while making a model helicopter.Also sorry its off topic but i got plastic bb stuck in my ear a few years ago it was really deep i was gonna go to the emergency room but my mum deciced she could do it with needles so with some chopstick actions she got it out in the end
 
T

timelord

Guest
When superglue first came out me and a few friends decided the Marks $ Spencers (A UK Shopping chain store) door would be a great target :D
We were very young at this time I was only 13 years old, one of the older boys put the superglue on the door handle and we sat and waited, low and behold a victim came along grabbed the handle and was stuck to the door ;D ;D The police/fire brigade/Ambulance services all came along and decided the best coarse of action would be to remove the door, with the victim and take the whole lot to the hospital for a human extraction from a shop door ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I've never looked at Marks & Spencers quite the same since that hilarious day of mindless teenage pranks :D

If any kids are reading this please don't do as I did, it was funny at the time but I now know it was dangerous and bloody stupid too.

This little statement should stop the Californian politically correct fairys from reacting here :D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 

justin07

New member
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
73
Likes
0
Points
0
Timelord said:
When superglue first came out me and a few friends decided the Marks $ Spencers (A UK Shopping chain store) door would be a great target :D
We were very young at this time I was only 13 years old, one of the older boys put the superglue on the door handle and we sat and waited, low and behold a victim came along grabbed the handle and was stuck to the door ;D ;D The police/fire brigade/Ambulance services all came along and decided the best coarse of action would be to remove the door, with the victim and take the whole lot to the hospital for a human extraction from a shop door ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I've never looked at Marks & Spencers quite the same since that hilarious day of mindless teenage pranks :D

If any kids are reading ths please don't do as I did, it was funny at the time but I now know it was dangerous and bloody stupid too.

This little statement should stop the Californian politically correct fairys from reacting here :D ;D ;D ;D ;D
in the us people have took that further lol some kids put super glue on toilet seats and people sit on the they had to have the seat removed and go to the hospital, i think it has happend more then once.

you can always put super glue in the school door locks lol they usly have to drill it out if the doors locked be class or something. i got it in my mouth some how didnt really stick to much taste bad as hell though

ive never really had bad experiences with super glue, i got it my
 

LarryQ

New member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
726
Likes
3
Points
0
I accidently glued myself to a wooden table I was working on....

I was leaning my forearm on the table, and reading the plans to a RC plane I was building.....when I knocked over the Cyan bottle...

Before I knew it..my ENTIRE LEFT FOREARM..from wrist to elbow was ATTACHED to the dining room table!!! :eek:

"Ummm....Honey.....Could you come here please......I...ummmm...Had an accident with the Cyan glue....."

Luckily I had a bottle of Cyano disolver....


Took my wife 3 tries to find the correct bottle in the small fridge I keep all my adhesives in....

I think she was more concerned about the table though...... ::)

LarryQ
 

rog8811

New member
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
2,749
Likes
38
Points
0
I was replacing the laces in my boots, I had purchased a pair that were too long.
After cutting them to length I decided to use superglue to seal up the cut ends...within seconds the laces erupted in acrid smoke! With eyes streaming I threw them into the garden..... Some sort of chemical reaction with something in the laces I would guess, any ideas?

Regards rog8811
 

styropyro

New member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
5,385
Likes
477
Points
0
rog8811 said:
I was replacing the laces in my boots, I had purchased a pair that were too long.
After cutting them to length I decided to use superglue to seal up the cut ends...within seconds the laces erupted in acrid smoke! With eyes streaming I threw them into the garden.....  Some sort of chemical reaction with something in the laces I would guess, any ideas?

Regards rog8811
I just tried that, mine fizzed and bubbled but there wasn't any smoke on mine. I wonder what causes it too.
 

a_pyro_is

New member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
790
Likes
3
Points
0
Cyanoacrylate polymerises very rapidly on exposure to hydroxide ions (as well as many other compounds) the reaction is exothermic (gives off heat) and if it happens fast enough it can even reach the flash point of cyanoacrylate around 75C-80C. I saw a pic somewhere on the forum today of a box of those 'pull-string firecrackers'.
If you unroll the paper, mix the explosive well into the string, roll the string into a ball, and add superglue it will often burst into flame. Please don't try this at home, or if you must, at least go outside.
 

rog8811

New member
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
2,749
Likes
38
Points
0
Thanks for the explanation a_p_i It is not something I wish to repeat as I would guess that those fumes are pretty poisonous.

Regards rog8811
 

AJ_Dual

New member
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Messages
528
Likes
27
Points
0
a_pyro_is said:
Cyanoacrylate polymerises very rapidly on exposure to hydroxide ions (as well as many other compounds) the reaction is exothermic (gives off heat) and if it happens fast enough it can even reach the flash point of cyanoacrylate around 75C-80C. I saw a pic somewhere on the forum today of a box of those 'pull-string firecrackers'.
If you unroll the paper, mix the explosive well into the string, roll the string into a ball, and add superglue it will often burst into flame. Please don't try this at home, or if you must, at least go outside.

Oooh. That would be cool. :D And I'll wager a guess that rog8811's laces were nylon. Nylon is produced by exposing cellulose to a sodium hydroxide solution, which breaks it down into a goopy gel, then forcing it through a tiny opening to form polymer chains.

So I imagine there's residual Hydroxy? Hydroxyls? (I've forgotten more chem than I learned) in the nylon fibers.
 

a_pyro_is

New member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
790
Likes
3
Points
0
Maybe. but just for kicks I tried CA on several fabrics and it was the ~50% cotton blends that generated the most heat. The nylon did nothing bit get a bit warm and smell bad.

Generic disclaimer here
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
380
Likes
0
Points
0
Not really a funny story, but I needed to glue some fine parts with super glue, so I thought I'd be clever and use a cotton bud (I think you US folks call them qtips or something....??). So I dipped it in, and few secs later ALL of the cotton turned into powder and vaporised, then blew away leaving the stick. I was gobsmacked for a few secs. I tried it again and again.... Very strange. I think it would only work with Tesco ones :-?
 




Top