Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Super efficient 445 diode from DTR

Hi guys,
Just wanted to report an interesting find...luck of the draw really. Recently I purchased several diodes from DTRs store and ended up putting one in a TR-801 host with copper AiziX clone module. Due to the size of the host and sink I decided to throttle the current back from what I usually set them at (1.6-1.8a).... I managed to build a driver right onto the drilled out pill using it as the heatsink. Using a DDL with an LM1084 (smaller casing LM1084) I set the current with a high quality 5w 1ohm set resistor for a measured output of 1.21a. Much to my surprise the laser was very bright at first look....I thought it must be an illusion and I was imagining things...then I put it on my LaserBee USB 2.5 and was astonished....with a standard 405-445 three element lens it shot quickly up to 1680mW then settled down to a nice 1640mW! I would imagine that would put the raw output close to 2w? I have not tested the current draw since I put it together, just the drivers output prior to connecting the diode. I used the common three diode and 1% 10w 1R resistor to measure the driver. I have no reason to suspect the current has changed considerably since I connected it all up. I have heard of checking the current at the tail cap but have never attempted this before...I assume it's done by hooking the same 1R resistor in line with the circuit and measuring the voltage across it. I plan to do this to verify my results soon. My question is this...has anyone else found an M140 diode with similar efficiency characteristics? I am hoping the other three sitting on my workbench have similar efficiency numbers as this one does. Due to the small heatsink size of this host I will probably end up pulling this one out and using it in a better host...I'd hate to burn such a nice diode up because the sink was so small. I really did intend to hit about 1w when I put this ome together....oh well, I'm not complaining...at least not here!

Again, anyone else have this sort of luck? All I can say is thanks DTR!
Cheers!
Jeff

Last edited:

You know what you have to do......

Get a G-1 lens and pump that little bastard up to 1.8A!

Moh, I would if you could make me a copper AixiZ clone that will fit the threads...unfortunately the copper module I have is the one that for whatever reason doesn't fit the G-1/2 lenses.

BTW, this is the host you built the sink for...nice work!

Soon I will be talking with you to make a few parts for my attempt at building a host for a two diode 445 using PBS cube to combine the two...I got some drawings on the table right now...I think I will be able to pull this off if the parts can be easily made.

Nice one, its always fun metering it for the first time to see what you got.

There is an interesting thread discussing the efficiency of diodes compared to their placement in the A-140 or A-130 diode brick. Seems that the middle ones are better than the outer ones for some reason.

If I'm able to locate it i'll post the thread link....perhaps someone else can direct.

Have fun with your extra-powerful diode:beer:

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Wow! you will probably reach 2.5 watts or more at 1.8 amps and around 2 watts at the current setting you have it at now with a g1!

Last edited:
I could probably push it pretty high but I am scared to pump this one with a full 1.8a...my luck it would flicker and die...I am considering a healthy 1.6a max. I estimate it would easily put out around 2 w with the plain lens which is plenty for me.

I really am going to just have to break down and buy an M140 projector after the holidays...hopefully one will go on sale and that will be all it takes for me to go for it. There's just something about spending around $900 just to tear it to pieces, my mind just reals at the thought. But if I did I am sure to find at least one or two more like it. I have some high aspirations to build a two diode handheld using a PBS to combine the beams...I have the PBS on order from Stanwax Lasers as we speak. I would love to break the 4w mark with a handheld.

I could probably push it pretty high but I am scared to pump this one with a full 1.8a...my luck it would flicker and die...I am considering a healthy 1.6a max. I estimate it would easily put out around 2 w with the plain lens which is plenty for me.

I really am going to just have to break down and buy an M140 projector after the holidays...hopefully one will go on sale and that will be all it takes for me to go for it. There's just something about spending around $900 just to tear it to pieces, my mind just reals at the thought. But if I did I am sure to find at least one or two more like it. I have some high aspirations to build a two diode handheld using a PBS to combine the beams...I have the PBS on order from Stanwax Lasers as we speak. I would love to break the 4w mark with a handheld.

4W handheld?!? :drool: i wonder when i see that happening :p but if it's there i will be watching:san:

greetings,,

geeo

I could probably push it pretty high but I am scared to pump this one with a full 1.8a...my luck it would flicker and die...I am considering a healthy 1.6a max.

Can that 200mA really make that much difference to a 445, especially with yours being so efficient?

Just wondering as I have both a 1.62 and 1.8 drivers coming and all this talk of flickering and going poof is worrying me about the 1.8

sinner

I am also looking for something like that, if thats the case i'm going to harvest diode beamer from my Optoma 703 dlp projector which claims to output 2700 lumens , 200 lumens more than the m-140's
If they prove to be more than 1.6~2.0W but if they are not would i be able to put the beamer back in place???
Any thoughts/comments on that specific model projector?

DTR

I am also looking for something like that, if thats the case i'm going to harvest diode beamer from my Optoma 703 dlp projector which claims to output 2700 lumens , 200 lumens more than the m-140's
If they prove to be more than 1.6~2.0W but if they are not would i be able to put the beamer back in place???
Any thoughts/comments on that specific model projector?

:thinking:

You will not find any diodes in that projector. It says it has a lamp.;)

I already told you only this specific brand of projectors uses laser diodes.....your projector does not have lasers in it

Edit dye beat me :p

Last edited:
The G2 lens I got from DTR fit fine in my Aixiz copper from Survival Lasers. FYI.

sinner

:thinking:

You will not find any diodes in that projector. It says it has a lamp.;)
WHY everything has to be so complicated :thinking:
Stuff like this always triggers my curiousity neurons..
DTR's 2.4W white powder coated one, and mark's builds were so damn awesome :beer:
And other than that i found out there are 24 of them in it and i couldnt help but teardown a perfectly fine dlp by myself :(..

I already told you only this specific brand of projectors uses laser diodes.....your projector does not have lasers in it

Edit dye beat me :p

Yeah bennett326.. thanks! you saved my curious ass + a whole night of teardown and finding nothing but a lamp XD :p
But how would i know which dlp has lasers in it?
I know a used projectors market which is like 2~3miles from where i live, i can get me one for $350~$500 .. and if thats the case the wealth will be shared equally , maybe less than $14.50/each.. now thats worth it afaik theres been a debate on finding a cheaper source for 445's!!!