Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suitable heatsink for laser?

Sorry to fuss over this, but I keep thinking and creating scenarios in my head if I don't have someone specifically telling me "yes, this will work Or no, this will not work".

I had a good long talk with ultimatekaiser yesterday about labbies and how the main enemy of lasers in general is the HEAT element. While discussing, we started talking about how depending on the wavelength, some labbies do need additional heatsinking(for example, being placed on a metal table). A couple questions come to mind(again, sorry folks :D):

1) Once placed on a metal/aluminum/good heat conducting surface, can a labby run indefinitely?

2) I went ahead and checked out some stores which create aluminum plates so I could place one under each of my labbies(just to be safe) and found the following:
Order Aluminum 2024 Rectangle in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

I can edit it to be exactly the size of the M Series head, but will this work? I know the reds/greens aren't too big of a deal but how about those exotic DPSS units?

Edit: I just bought a piece to place under my 655 labby, better be safe then sorry :)

Thank you,
Alex

Last edited:

Benm

If you do the calculations right there is no reason why a properly heatsinked laser could not run 24/7. This applies to both lab-style units and flashight-style ones, although you'd probably have to swap the batteries in the latter once in a while.

Bolting on random strips of aluminium isn't generally a good approach to it, you really do need to do the math to determine if something is sufficient, unless it's so large you can be certain it is overkill (like mounting a 1 watt laser diode on a 100 watt cpu heatsink with the fan running).

If you do the calculations right there is no reason why a properly heatsinked laser could not run 24/7. This applies to both lab-style units and flashight-style ones, although you'd probably have to swap the batteries in the latter once in a while.

Bolting on random strips of aluminium isn't generally a good approach to it, you really do need to do the math to determine if something is sufficient, unless it's so large you can be certain it is overkill (like mounting a 1 watt laser diode on a 100 watt cpu heatsink with the fan running).

Hey Benm,

Thanks for the reply. I won't be bolting the unit to the aluminum plate, just simply letting it sit nice and tight onto it's surface. I do agree that most lab style units shouldn't need extra heatsinking but the M Series DO NOT come with a built-in fan in the head, only in the PSU. Wouldn't adding such a piece underneath help prevent overheating(if it is even an issue)?

-Alex

Hey Benm,

Thanks for the reply. I won't be bolting the unit to the aluminum plate, just simply letting it sit nice and tight onto it's surface. I do agree that most lab style units shouldn't need extra heatsinking but the M Series DO NOT come with a built-in fan in the head, only in the PSU. Wouldn't adding such a piece underneath help prevent overheating(if it is even an issue)?

-Alex

It won't hurt, that's for sure.
You can usually get a better deal on material on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-thick-5...02abe1c&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=331622561165

Last edited: