Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suggestions? Flashlight driver for 4x XMLs on 2x Lithium Ions

rhd

I'm doing a mod that will have me using 2x 26650 cells to hopefully power 4x CREE XML emitters. The emitters aren't wired yet, so there's some flexibility.

I've been told that I could direct drive the emitters in 2S2P, but my guy tells me to find an appropriate driver. Anyone have anything in mind?

I have those drivers coming in very soon. Ill let you know how they work out.:)

Edit:

You can also use the driver out of the Z5 host.;) But will require more voltage.

I dont think you can run 4x XML on 2 cells unless you are boosting or if they are in parallel then you should be fine.

Last edited:
No problem! I'm making a triple XM-L build myself. I already have the parts but time seems to escape me. :(

rhd

I just ordered one.

In an "aha" moment, I realized that I had been throwing out XML emitters for a year now. Decided to start keeping them!

You should do an 8x XM-L build, that would be epic.

@lazeerer
Let us know the results! I ditched my triple AMC 7135 sandwich driver for the link I saw in your thread. ;) I was planning to use 3 26650 cells since I saw ma_sha on CPF build his triple XM-L off sandwiched AMC 7135 with an inline resistor to drop off extra voltage.

Last edited:

rhd

Jufran88 said:
you should do an 8x XM-L build, that would be epic.

@lazeerer
Let us know the results! I ditched my triple AMC 7135 sandwich driver for the link I saw in your thread. ;) I was planning to use 3 26650 cells since I saw ma_sha on CPF build his triple XM-L off sandwiched AMC 7135 with an inline resistor to drop off extra voltage.

I've got a quad SST-90 for shock value :)

I'm absolutely the kind of flashlight user they must hate at CPF. I have nearly no real world need for a powerfull flashlight. It just brings me an incredible amount of joy to see how much light science has created for us, in such a small package.

I criticize the "2W+ 445" seekers on this forum, but I'm exactly the same way with flash lights. Though admittedly my irrational pursuit of flash light power for awe value is much less dangerous.

My next build - I want to convert a tiny single 16340 host to take an SST90 and a 6A lipo. It would almost immediately be overwhelmed by heat, but for those first 5 seconds of use, it would be amazing!

I saw that awhile ago, that is a beautiful flashlight!

SST-90s don't seem to like me very much as I have poof'd 3 already lol, good thing the prices went down on those. I have one left, but I'm saving it for later.

rhd

I saw that awhile ago, that is a beautiful flashlight!

SST-90s don't seem to like me very much as I have poof'd 3 already lol, good thing the prices went down on those. I have one left, but I'm saving it for later.

Where would you buy one from if you were ordering one today? KD?

I usually order my SST-90s at Avnet, they were having a special on them last year for $20 each. I don't know if they continued discounting them, it was a good deal! Basically 2 for the price of one!

I just ordered one.

In an "aha" moment, I realized that I had been throwing out XML emitters for a year now. Decided to start keeping them!

Sometimes I dislike people like you, but really it is society's fault for creating such wasteful habits. I have been saving change from my groceries and bills and finally afforded to buy my two new LEDs for the year, and then I see people getting these $50 PT54 and throwing them away, and people buying xml flashlights to use as lasers and throwing the LEDs away..

Why not try some 7135 drivers to drive the 2s2p array? I guess it wouldn't exactly be 2s2p, but you could use 2p LEDs to supply the vcc and vin for the driver'd 2p LEDs

Last edited:

rhd

I usually order my SST-90s at Avnet, they were having a special on them last year for $20 each. I don't know if they continued discounting them, it was a good deal! Basically 2 for the price of one!

Good find! They're actually sub-$20 now on Avnet.

Any suggestions in terms of the binning? There are literally dozens of bins sub-$20.

Sometimes I dislike people like you, but really it is society's fault for creating such wasteful habits. I have been saving change from my groceries and bills and finally afforded to buy my two new LEDs for the year, and then I see people getting these $50 PT54 and throwing them away, and people buying xml flashlights to use as lasers and throwing the LEDs away..

Why not try some 7135 drivers to drive the 2s2p array? I guess it wouldn't exactly be 2s2p, but you could use 2p LEDs to supply the vcc and vin for the driver'd 2p LEDs

I'm a minimalist. I don't keep things. It wasn't that I consciously thought to throw out the emitters previously. I often didn't recognize when I had an XML versus a cheap 1W emitter, largely because I just wasn't viewing the host through the lens of a flashlight hobbyist. I don't like accumulation of "stuff", so it was always just natural to toss out the emitters. Some I kept, but for the most part it was a secondary consideration.

That said, the aha moment changed my approach. So there's no need to get the hate on now ;)

If your looking for the brightest bin by flux, according to the old datasheet (they made a revision on their datasheet and binning/labeling):

Star: SSR-90 W57S-R11-GN200, bin WN-EH
bare emitter: SST-90 W57S-F11-GN200, bin WN-EH