Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suggestion: Let people know why their B/S/T post gets rejected

There are way too many posts asking why their B/S/T post gets rejected... Wouldn't it be much easier to just PM them letting them know why instead of leaving them confused/submitting another thread? It happened to me once, but then I read all of the stickies and understood why, but I think most people are too lazy/don't care enough to do that ;)

daguin

No.
It would be "easier" if people read the stickies

EVERYONE NEEDS to read the stickies anyway

Why should the mods have to individually inform someone who isn't even willing to do the most basic research themselves?

You should also define what you mean by,
"There are way too many posts asking why their B/S/T post gets rejected"

With your extensive experience here in the last month, how many posts of that kind would you think was OK?

If I could neg you again right now, I would

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
No.
It would be "easier" if people read the stickies

EVERYONE NEEDS to read the stickies anyway

Why should the mods have to individually inform someone who isn't even willing to do the most basic research themselves?

You should also define what you mean by,
"There are way too many posts asking why their B/S/T post gets rejected"

With your extensive experience here in the last month, how many posts of that kind would you think was OK?

If I could neg you again right now, I would

Peace,
dave

Great, negative rep me because I make a suggestion/have a different opinion. That's fair. This is probably the last time I'm going to try to help the mods out here, it seems they all have a grudge against me now.
I've seen plenty of threads where people are complaining about how their B/S/T thread never showed up, and even that they've tried multiple times. The least you could do is send them a PM telling them to read the stickies so the mods don't have to deal with multiple posts and stupid questions?

Last edited:
This isn't just a place where people come get info and leave. Most of us here hang out with each other outside of the forums. In other words friendships are made here. Do you think you can walk to a park, see a group of people and just join in on their festivities, or even more, walk up and tell them that what their doing is wrong, or walk up and start selling them stuff?

Food for thought
Michael

daguin

Great, negative rep me because I make a suggestion/have a different opinion. That's fair. This is probably the last time I'm going to try to help the mods out here, it seems they all have a grudge against me now.
I've seen plenty of threads where people are complaining about how their B/S/T thread never showed up, and even that they've tried multiple times. The least you could do is send them a PM telling them to read the stickies so the mods don't have to deal with multiple posts and stupid questions?

I'm not going to explain why you have no idea what you are talking about
I'm just going to say that you have no idea what we mods do behind the scenes
I, for one, would appreciate if you did refrain from trying to help the mods
You've only been here a month

You do not even understand the culture here yet and you are willing to tell us how we are doing it wrong

Unearned arrogance and entitlement might get you over on your teachers, but it will only get you red bars here

Peace,
dave

I'm not going to explain why you have no idea what you are talking about
I'm just going to say that you have no idea what we mods do behind the scenes
I, for one, would appreciate if you did refrain from trying to help the mods
You've only been here a month

You do not even understand the culture here yet and you are willing to tell us how we are doing it wrong

Unearned arrogance and entitlement might get you over on your teachers, but it will only get you red bars here

Peace,
dave

I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I'll wait until I'm here a few years before I make any suggestions :)

norbyx

Keeping a forum is no easy task, i know because I hosted a forum of RC here in costa rica, and there were like 250 members, now I don't immagine how hard it is to host a forum like this one, with thousands of members (maybe not all active but still) and newbies that often post questions just because they don't use the search button, or pretend to do business like if this was ebay.

My personal suggestion to you FroyoShark is to take it easy, and back off a little and try it all over again.
This forum seemed harsh to me to when I posted my first thread but then I soon realized that people here are quite friendly and sometimes they are just trying to keep the forum to a certain level of professionalism.

What I would do in your shoes? Well first edit your signature... stop adverstising lasers for sale you don't have in your signature and then complaining because you have a hard time with other members.
Second, learn, help other users, read the forum rules and stickies, most of them are very usefull for all newcomers.

If you want to sell your lasers head out to ebay, try your luck there, and with time you will probably be able to sell them here also without any problems, but don't pretend to have people buy from you just because you put out an add...

I still haven't built my first laser, but from some lasers I have bought I know I could easily do it, will I be selling lasers in the forums.... No, very not likely, there are too many people doing it and as many have stated, they already have a reputation. Also please do the math, it's no big deal to build and sell lasers, many times you end up selling them and your gain is $10-20 over your cost... now this isn't going to make you enough money to support this hobby unless you sell 10 a month.
If you want a hobby that will give you some money back I suggest you look into metal detecting, once you have invested in a detector, all you find will give you money, and i have seen a lot of people making thousands of $$$ with that hobby.
I myself found a diamond ring that even if small was quite a nice find...

So take advise from another newbie that is starting to love this forum, and relax, edit your signature, and have a good time like most are....

Keeping a forum is no easy task, i know because I hosted a forum of RC here in costa rica, and there were like 250 members, now I don't immagine how hard it is to host a forum like this one, with thousands of members (maybe not all active but still) and newbies that often post questions just because they don't use the search button, or pretend to do business like if this was ebay.

My personal suggestion to you FroyoShark is to take it easy, and back off a little and try it all over again.
This forum seemed harsh to me to when I posted my first thread but then I soon realized that people here are quite friendly and sometimes they are just trying to keep the forum to a certain level of professionalism.

What I would do in your shoes? Well first edit your signature... stop adverstising lasers for sale you don't have in your signature and then complaining because you have a hard time with other members.
Second, learn, help other users, read the forum rules and stickies, most of them are very usefull for all newcomers.

If you want to sell your lasers head out to ebay, try your luck there, and with time you will probably be able to sell them here also without any problems, but don't pretend to have people buy from you just because you put out an add...

I still haven't built my first laser, but from some lasers I have bought I know I could easily do it, will I be selling lasers in the forums.... No, very not likely, there are too many people doing it and as many have stated, they already have a reputation. Also please do the math, it's no big deal to build and sell lasers, many times you end up selling them and your gain is $10-20 over your cost... now this isn't going to make you enough money to support this hobby unless you sell 10 a month.
If you want a hobby that will give you some money back I suggest you look into metal detecting, once you have invested in a detector, all you find will give you money, and i have seen a lot of people making thousands of $$$ with that hobby.
I myself found a diamond ring that even if small was quite a nice find...

So take advise from another newbie that is starting to love this forum, and relax, edit your signature, and have a good time like most are....

I've fixed my signature. I have completed one build successfully though, so I'm off to a good start at least :)

Lolvo

An automated PM can be set to message the thread creator upon removal, the body can explain to read the stickies before posting a B/S/T thread. I haven't seen many posts asking that, maybe a couple. I wouldn't think it necessary, but it might clear things up with new users. A mod's job can require a lot of thorough work, so a mod would expect a user to read the stickies (which is what they are there for) and know the correct way to post a thread beforehand.
After working in forum administration for a couple years, I started to see both sides of it. It's about efficiency and professionalism on both sides, user and staff.

I'm glad to see people submitting suggestions, though.

Last edited:

daguin

An automated PM can be set to message the thread creator upon removal, the body can explain to read the stickies before posting a B/S/T thread. I haven't seen many posts asking that, maybe a couple. I wouldn't think it necessary, but it might clear things up with new users. A mod's job can require a lot of thorough work, so a mod would expect a user to read the stickies (which is what they are there for) and know the correct way to post a thread beforehand.
After working in forum administration for a couple years, I started to see both sides of it. It's about efficiency and professionalism on both sides, user and staff.

I'm glad to see people submitting suggestions, though.

The threads are not "removed"
The board requires approval of threads
The threads in question are simply not approved

The mod's still see them, but the membership does not

Peace,
dave

Last edited: