Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suggested OD for 532nm?

I've seen different optical densities (OD) for 532nm lasers, and was wondering what is the suggested OD to get for normal use? Novalasers has OD 2+ for theirs, but should I go higher? The laserglow GB has some OD6+ but will that make the dot too attenuated? I've got some red laser enhancer goggles (which block green light very well), but it really makes the green laser hard to see. Then again, that should be a good thing for safety.

What are your thoughts?

So right now the highest output I've got is about 80mW, and I could see in the future going as high as 150mW or so. Would the OD2 be sufficient for those ranges?

Bionic-Badger said:
So right now the highest output I've got is about 80mW, and I could see in the future going as high as 150mW or so.  Would the OD2 be sufficient for those ranges?

OD2 is sufficient for lasers up to 500mW.

10^2=100. 500mW attenuated by a factor 100 equals 5mW.

If your most powerful laser truly is and will be 150mw, OD1.5+ would suffice already.

realistically 2.0 should work I have a set of wicked type I think that are at least 5 i can barely see my rpl dot with them .to me seams unsafer since you dont really know where its pointing now my philips 2.0 ones work great ;D the dots pretty visable and i still get the protection needed for me and my three sons aka the monsters