Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Stun Laser

Swat and military use special lasers to stun their opponent in the eyes using a special laser that shoots a much larger beam. It only causes short term blindness (5 to 10 minutes). My question is were can these type of lasers be purchased. I do a lot of flying and stay in big city hotels. Taking a firarm for protection is simply not an option however carrying this type of laser in your stow under luggage could afford you the protection in you hotel at night. A friend was robbed in his hotel room in the middle of the night at gun point and I would like to avoid this type of scenario. :(

5-10 minutes? i thought it was only a few seconds.

they tested it on the guy that was reporting on it and he said it was "uncomfortable"

Get a chair and prop it up in front of the room door if you are so worried.  ::) You can have a knife in the checked baggage anyway.

The laser is only meant to disorient the person, not BLIND them ::) and it's not a "special" laser, merely an unfocused one. You're far better off with a real weapon so you could have a reasonable chance of fighting back or scaring them off ::)

diachi

Why don't you just buy a gun, but not get any ammo :-? that way if someone comes into rob you, you can scare them with the empty gun ?

lol

none of the replies on the laser forum are laser centered answers

in keeping with this tradition of non responsiveness I suggest hiring Chuck Norris to protect you and also a 10 pack of mean, biting chihuahua dogs - they are annoyingly loud and if they were infected with ebola they would be pretty dangerous!

;D

Switch

if they were infected with ebola they would be pretty dangerous!

Yea, you get robbed, he thinks he won, but several weeks later BAM!....death ::)

The reason the replies aren't laser related is because self-defense laser = bad idea. Anyway you think of it, it's a bad idea.It can help if it's gun mounted as a non lethal weapon or in other circumstances, but keeping it in your pocket instead of a pepper spray , stun gun, knife or gun is a bad idea. It has already been discussed and you can search for "laser self defense" or something like that to see what was said. :p

How about a laser set at ~300mW, at which point it can ignite matches? Pretty painful when shone on exposed skin, and can probably cause some injury too, enough to possibly scare off the attacker; or shone in the eye for blindness...