Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Stun guns!

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8382

I've fixed my eyes lately on these things, and especially on the cheetah 2.5 million volts unit.

I can find some online at 60$~ BUT on ebay there's someone selling 2x packs at this same price so, 2x1, and a friend of mine also wants one, so it would be a great deal.

The fact is that this last seller doesn't send to Spain, so if someone could buy this and then send it to me (I pay everything ofc) I would be really pleased.

Then again, I got some small doubts about this:

1.-They need 110V to charge themselves, I can buy a transformer from DX for 6$, BUT, it's 50W. Will this be enough?

2.-Once charged, how long does the battery last and how many times can it be charged?

3.-what's a good provider and what's a good model?

Thanks in advance.

Yours,
Albert

I hope you know that it's the amperage that hurts, not the voltage. A lot of the ebay stun guns are pretty cheap. I know for a fact that most are better than the Cheetah though.

lmn

No matter what, 2.5 million volts would scare the crap outta me. Just the 300 volts from disposable cameras makes my finger numb.

Stun Guns are electrical self-defense weapons that use high voltage to stop an attacker. Touching a person with the prongs of the stun gun quickly immobilizes the attacker. However, because stun guns have very low amperage, no serious or permanent injury is inflicted. Each of the stun guns below are effective options you have when defending yourself. The model you choose depends largely on your personal preference.

yeah.. you getting shocked by static is a few thousand volts right there..
it's all on amperage to kill or maim you.. or have you feel anything..

anyway.. good luck on your search.

P.S. i'm not afraid of 2.5 million volts...
i am afraid of 0.1 amps going thru my heart though

the STUNMASTER 775 (775,000).
It's said to be good on many reviews and forums, and many people buy this model, everyone has said it's the best.

It takes FOUR 9V batteries... :D

Stun Master 775 Stun Gun

Jaseth

Just to clear this up.. people always seem confused as to the effect of a stun gun:
1) A stun gun's main function is to deplete the energy stores in a person's muscles, NOT to cause pain. Basically, the shock forces your muscles to work extremely hard but very ineffeciently and soon they are drained of energy and filled with lactic acid. This effect is based on Voltage and Time of the shock.. usually higher power stun guns disable for about 10 seconds with a 1 second shock, 2-3 minutes after a 3 second shock and up to 15 minutes with a 5 second shock. You should ALWAYS follow the instructions which come with your specific stun gun.

2) A stun gun will also affect the nervous system of a person, causing brief spasms, but these effects only help you hold the stun gun to the attacker for the required 2-3 seconds and the spasms do not continue after contact has stopped.

3) A stun gun is PULSED! This is important firstly as shocks in a person's chest may otherwise cause heart failure. By being pulsed at a certain rate, only slow-flex muscles will be affected (an example of a quick-flex muscle which is not affected would be a person's abdominal muscles). Together with containing a high voltage and very low current, this is the other reason why only a professionally built stun gun may be used for self-defense.
Secondly, if the shock was not pulsed, an arc would appear from the stun gun. An arc is when a constant current heats the air, turning it into plasma. A ~2 metre arc bursting out of your stun gun would look cool, but not be very safe.

4) Another use of a stun gun is simply to scare off attackers using the crackling noise from the two discharge-prongs between the stun prongs. You can also purchase a stun gun with built-in pepper spray.

5) A stun gun will not make someone collapse and fall unconscious such as seen in the movies. It also does not make a crackling noise when being used to stun. In many films you will see people being abducted by getting a stun gun jabbed into their neck - sure it would make them easier to control as they would lose mobility for some time, but the only way they would get knocked unconscious is if you smacked them in the face really hard with it.

6) Sadly, by far the most stun guns are advertised as a much higher power than they really are because probably not more than one in a thousand customers would actually be able to test the actual voltage. Do not buy something cheap - unless you are using them for other purposes, such as spud gun ignition or to piss off your friends, these are made to save your life.. would you buy a car with 1/5 stars in a crash test instead of the 4/5 one simply to save $50? Buy from a big security company and buy one with top ratings, even if it does cost a lot more. Integrated pepper spray is great as it widens the reach of your self defense a lot (a bit like learning to kick when you only punched before). Pepper spray on its own is not enough (trust me, I have been sprayed once myself by a crazy old woman who thought I was mugging her because I wanted to ask the time and I could still walk and see ok, and after 2 minutes the effect was nearly gone).

Hope this helped
Seb

^^^ Same concept for pepper spray. The old woman must have hit you with some cheap spray :evil:

Jaseth

Well tbh I have also been sprayed by a friend with high-quality stuff and by myself to test my homebrewed one based on the strongest pepper I could find soaking in rubbing alcohol for 3 days + some ingredients which I will not reveal here.
My own spray was by far the strongest, to my huge surprise.
None of them made me drop to the ground, although the pain was huge and I had to wash my eyes several times. While it was a powerful irritant which would have made me slightly disoriented and made me lose a fight against an equal or somewhat below equal martial artist, it would not be able to prevent me from punching/stabbing/shooting someone if those were my intentions. Therefore I would not say it is a sufficient method of self defense.

Seb

HIMNL9

As i already said in another thread ..... there's no "2,5 millions" volts in any stud gun, at all ..... the most powerful units, that are the military ones that also the police use, the ones that "shoot" the electrodes to you, are 75.000 volts, all the commercial units around are in reality 50.000 volts units ..... over those limits, the insulation becomes so problematic, that is difficult to build something safe.

i made some experiments with high voltages, in the past ..... the more high voltage that i pulled from a self-made transformer in safe way (that means, the transformer worked as expected, without short itself internally and turn in fire :p), was a 10 cm continuous arc unit, that means around 100.000 volts, and the unit was built in a stick, not in a "gun shape" container, cause for not have self-discharges inside the unit, it needed to keep the out poles at 20 cm, and impregnate all with high voltage resin (and the first trial took fire in few seconds, probably there was remained some air bubbles in the resin)

I may be really surprised, if any of these producers, can really attack the output of their "million volts" stud gun to an electrostatic voltmeter and show me something more than 50 Kv, in the best cases ..... :p :D

Well tbh I have also been sprayed by a friend with high-quality stuff and by myself to test my homebrewed one based on the strongest pepper I could find soaking in rubbing alcohol for 3 days + some ingredients which I will not reveal here.

I suggest you iprite ..... not exactly legal, but very efficent ..... (hoy, just kidding, ok ? ..... don't even think to use it in the real :D)

Last edited:

Jaseth

the more high voltage that i pulled from a self-made transformer in safe way was a 10 cm continuous arc unit, that means around 100.000 volts
This is not something I am claiming to be the entire truth, it is just a guess at the reason:
Just as with lasers, pulsed voltage is very different from measured voltage. An example would be if you poured 90°C water on a brick 5 times per minute.. a thermometer inside the brick would probably measure about 60°C after 5 minutes of doing this - a brick put in a bucket of 65°C water would be 65°C after the same amount of time - therefore hotter even though each power input was greater on its own with the first brick.

My guess is that companies advertise what the power of each pulse is while you measure what the average power is over a minute or so - and therefore your numbers are way lower.
As far as I know pulsed lasers are advertised at their measured power and not the power of each pulse, but with stun guns it is the opposite.

I may be wrong, but I would think this quite a good explanation. Otherwise hundreds of the biggest security companies would be lying about their products and getting away with it - surely someone would have ripped their lies apart already?

I have seen between 50000V and 950000V stun guns from very widely used companies, often involved in special forces and security personel training.

Seb

Numbers mean nothing to me anymore. I'll just watch videos and read reviews, and that's why I've concluded the Stun Master 750 seems to be the best for the money.

So you can modify a cheap stungun to no longer pulse and it will be a dangerous weapon? My current stun gun is more of a toy that me and my friends play with, not something I'd try to stop an attacker with, although I'm not interested in trying to modify it.

HIMNL9

Well, i don't want to argue about that what different companies says and writes on their products, not calling them liars or in any other ways .....

I just say that dielectric air value is around 1000V/mm, so a 2,5 millions volts unit, must be able to produce sparks of at least 2,5 meters of lenght (ok, be a good guy, includes losses, different dielectric values at different pressures and temperatures, and so on, but still remain at least 2 meters ..... at least :p)

Do someone can show me a 2 meters spark form any one of these stud guns HT transformers ? ..... also just a single spark ? ..... :evil:

;)

Jaseth

We have already been over this many times.. what you are talking about is not a spark but an arc. Arcs are electrically heated air which turns it into plasma and causes the electricity to travel in a bow-form rather than straight across from one prong to another. A pulsed current does not produce plasma as the heating of the air is constantly stopped. Therefore not matter the voltage, it will simply jump to the nearest place which will absorb it, in a stun guns case the other discharge prong, or between the two stun prongs through a human.

Seb