Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Strange laser blur output

Hi,

I recently farmed a red laser diode from a 16x dvd burner, but when i power it up it doenst show a nice rounded light. But instead it gives me a strange blur that looks like a finger print or something. I tried cleaning the glass in the laser diode with alcohol, but this didnt work. The opening is very small so it's kinda hard to clean it.

Also when i focus it with a Aixiz lens, it still show the blur around the laser dot. I doenst look that nice, and i guess the burning power is also less because the hole beam wont focuss in 1 little dot.

Look below for a picture of my unfocused beam.

Attachments

• SP_A0151.jpg
    SP_A0151.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 92

Gazoo

Try cleaning everything again. It does look as though the diodes glass is still smudged.

Looks like scatter to me ! I think prob's is from something like lens dirt/ residue etc.

Tried cleaning it, but it wont work. Mayby the dirt is on the other side of the window?

Is there any save way to crack and remove the glass window? Seems pretty hard because the opening is smaller than the window itself, and i guess the parts inside are pretty fragile.

Your best bet is to sit down with a tiny Dremel cutting wheel and a vice and CAREFULLY cut the can off.
It's pretty damn difficult to remove the window any other way. You van be a bit safer by cutting it very near the top of the can.

Bleh i guess i broke it while i was cleaning it now. It barrely gives any light anymore, cant even see it on a wall 5 cm away :'(