Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Strange fluorescent phenomenon

Arayan

Today I tried to enlighten my mineral collection (more than 100 pieces) with a blue-ray laser (405 nm) and a mineral called fuchsite showed a strange phenomenon, it start glowing for a few seconds only in some located points of the rock. If I have time in the future I will try to investigate the phenomenon :thinking::thinking:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fuchsite.jpg
    Fuchsite.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 1,401
  • P9230003.jpg
    P9230003.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 1,329

That is pretty cool! Natural glow-in-the-dark, just scrape some off and glue it to some paper.;)
I'v always been a rock hound, would love to see a bit more of your collection.

What you got happening there is simular to something I noticed with a few of my samples of Fluorescent minerals. Notably, (correction: Flourite CaF2) There is a phenomena known as delayed fluorescence or after fluorescence. Your sample is the longest delay I have seen so far. Interesting. Are you able to get a closeup of the glowing area? I am very curious!!

FYI, Fuchsite also quite commonly contains red ruby. I can see from your picture that you do indeed have ruby in your sample.

Last edited:

Arayan

AWESOME!!

:thanks:

532 with Envy said:
would love to see a bit more of your collection.

Thanks I'll post them in "off topic" section :D :D

EDIT:
Seoul_lasers said:
What you got happening there is simular to something I noticed with a few of my samples of Fluorescent minerals. Notably, Willemite, Zn2SiO4. There is a phenomena known as delayed fluorescence or after fluorescence. Your sample is the longest delay I have seen so far. Interesting. Are you able to get a closeup of the glowing area? I am very curious!!

FYI, Fuchsite also quite commonly contains red ruby. I can see from your picture that you do indeed have ruby in your sample.

thanks, I didn't know this phenomenon ...have you posted your minerals on the forum?

Last edited:

jimdt7

Pretty cool ! I can say ! I love fluorescent phenomenons!

I love these fluorescence effects...can't wait to get my hands on an 405nm laser :)
Thanks for posting your finding!