Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Straight Line Laser

Tusk

Non-Laser New guy question

I'm in a motorcycle riding group. When we gather several times a year, during which we will attempt to align the bikes in a perfectly straight line (done mostly hungover) for a Line Up Photo for the event.

Looking for an inexpensive way with a laser beam to assist on these said "difficult mornings" and speed up the process. Knowing a short tripod will be needed if we use the tires, input would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance....... Tusk

A laser level would most likely work. Also, there are small tripods available for holding laser pointers. That would work as well.. Really you could use any tripod or microphone stand and use a microphone clip to hold the laser pointer..

I agree with the level answer but you might need to invest a little more $$ into a 532nm (green) level. The reds ones are mostly low power and almost impossible to see in bright daylight without enhancement glasses.
I used a red for years and struggled to see it 90% of the time.
I bought a greenie level and have had no problems at all.

Welcome to the forum!!

If you are looking for an inexpensive way, then use a chalk string. Line up, and wash the chalk away.

In the daylight you would have to use a pretty decent laser to see the line. The line is created by a diffraction grating which are pretty cheap, so I wouldnt buy a level. You are probably paying overhead just for it being a level.

Benm

The optic that generates the line works equally well on any laser, so you might just fit it to a green laser and project a green line - this works very well.

To make a straight line, this is all you need, but but make it a level line is a lot more difficult since you have to sowehow mount the green laser in the existing laser keeping things aligned. But for your purpose you might just need a straight line.

ZRTMWA

I would just reccomend buy a green laser and a tripod and setting it up at one end of the bike line at tire level. If you point it stright down the line and it is higher powered you should be ble to line up the tires using the beam. If you decide to take the picture when it's foggy, raining or at night you wont need that high powered of a green laser to see the beam.