Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Stonetek 500mW 808nm Laser Diodes - Any Experience?

Does anybody have any experience with the 500mW 808nm laser diodes from Stonetek? The datasheet doesn't show anything, so I'd like to hear from anybody that has experience with these diodes. Here's a link: 500mw OEM 808nm 5.6mm diodes ! [Stonetek808_500] - $15.99 : StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store

What I'm after is a good operating current, I don't have a LPM to ramp up the current to these things until they hit 500mW so some input would be great.

I've wanted to get into IR for years now but I've never gotten around to it, so this laser would be a good start. And yes, I have IR goggles rated for OD7 at 808nm.

The Data sheet says they typical current is about 240mA and max would be 280mW. But it also says the Po at that current is aroun 200mW. That's kinda lame for a 1/2W diode. However, I doubt it can be pushed up to 1/2 a watt anyway. Take the advertised Po and multiply it by about .7, That is the RMS constsnt that comes up in electronics all the time.

Root mean square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, I bet the diode could be safely run at about 350mW. But that'll just be an educated guess since I've never dealt with that diode. So I wouldn't know what current to set it to. I'm sure someone will chime in who knows. I'm interested in this too.

-Tony

All of the 808nm diodes he sells have the same 200mW datasheet. I went on eBay and looked up 500mW laser diode and the diodes Snoctony sells take 650mA. So 650mA it is, I'll buy one soon.