Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Starting my first laser build

Hi LPF,
I started getting curious about lasers and am going to start a red build. I chose red because of its characteristics, Im looking to make a long range burner. What I have purchased so far: Aixiz glass lens (650nm), copper diode housing (for better cooling efficiency), red constant 50-500ma driver and a 5mw module.

What makes a better beam, the LOC LPC-826 diode or the LCC diodes from the GGW-H20L sleds? Im kinda leaning towards the LCC diodes just because they would seem to cool better because of more surface contact with the housing.
Also I was thinking about switching the driver to the IRON4D 700ma driver as I really like its compact design. Would 700ma be overdriving these red diodes too far?

As for a host im not sure yet (but im thinking C3). So are these parts compatible? Which diode would give me better beam characteristics, LOC or LCC?.

Last edited:

ARG

For "long range" burning you need raw power. You wont me burning anything with a LOC diode outside of it's focusable range. Also, yes 700mA would blow your diode. Most red diodes sit happy under 400mA.

Ok ill stick with the driver ive got. Ill probably get ggw sled. Not sure on a host yet. Looking for pocket sized.

You won't be doing any long range burns(over like... idk 5 feet max) with that but up close you should be able to light a match and stuff. If you want high power from a red your only real option is a Mitsubishi 300mW or a 500mW. Both of those diodes can be effectively doubled from their stock output to attain ~600mW and ~1W respectively. The only down side to these diodes is their beam specs are pretty ugly, especially the lower powered one, and the diodes are quite expensive. You may want to consider one of these for a later build and the IRON4Ds work great with them.

As for a host, I would suggest a nice simple C6 build. They are tried and tested and work great and are pretty much medium-small hosts in my books.

Last edited:
Not really. That actually requires more power because you the laser would have to be in your hand and not sitting on a table or something very stationary. Also, a fly or spider will fly/run as soon as the temps get uncomfortable and 300mW isn't enough to fry them before they bail from that distance.

Single mode 300mW 650nm lasers are fun but not for burning much.

Not really. That actually requires more power because you the laser would have to be in your hand and not sitting on a table or something very stationary. Also, a fly or spider will fly/run as soon as the temps get uncomfortable and 300mW isn't enough to fry them before they bail from that distance.

Single mode 300mW 650nm lasers are fun but not for burning much.
That's the hardest part.. Getting em to stay till :D

i think sm reds burn pretty good. hell my rayfoss @150mW will pop a black balloon at 20' or 6m. i've never put my lpc-826 @290mW to this test yet.

Last edited: