Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

starting my career in laser technologies

lol not meaning to be offensive..but the guy in the picture on that page has ALLOT of protective gear on for that laser. haha

bobobob121 said:
lol not meaning to be offensive..but the guy in the picture on that page has ALLOT of protective gear on for that laser. haha

I don't think that's protective gear. The goggles are...

But the gloves and suit look more like to stop skin/hair particles from contaminating the air. And when you need a nice clean environment for nice clean optics, I can see why that would be a big thing :)

Murudai said:
[quote author=bobobob121 link=1217898161/0#3 date=1217979067]lol not meaning to be offensive..but the guy in the picture on that page has ALLOT of protective gear on for that laser. haha

I don't think that's protective gear. The goggles are...

But the gloves and suit look more like to stop skin/hair particles from contaminating the air. And when you need a nice clean environment for nice clean optics, I can see why that would be a big thing :)[/quote]

You would be correct. That guy is in our optics research clean room. Yeah he really doesn't need laser safety goggles since he is just using a HeNe, but you need to wear goggles anyways as a part of the clean room outfit. Plus, any picture you see of a guy with a laser at our school is very obviously set up specifically for media coverage. Take, for example, this picture which was the cover of our program advertising pamphlet last year. I have already taken the liberty of pointing out obvious problems.

But still, it's a great program! :cool:

haha, you are correct about all those errors. I think you should show them the corrections you have made :D

Oh, I already did. Brought it to the program co-ordinator and he looked at it and said "yeah, you're right about all of that stuff. But it looks cool to people outside the program, so we gotta do it."

So it's all pretty much just a marketing ploy.

Yeah, that's a bunny suit.  

JasonChris1.JPG

The things can get annoying, but it's  fact of life, and you get used to them.  The ones in the cleanroom here aren't as bad, we can leave our faces uncovered (It's only class 100 cleanroom).  My last cleanroom position during an internship last summer, we had to cover everything but nose and eyes (class 10 cleanroom), but the mouth covering was, while incorporated into the suit, still breathable.  Mostly.  Other fabs/facilities at that same sight were class 1 cleanrooms, where they were allowed to only have their eyes uncovered, and often had to wear glasses too.  These cleanrooms are the cleanest places in the world, MANY times cleaner than any surgical operating room ever imagined.

The suits are generally completely polyester (well, with 1% carbon), so you can imagine they don't breathe.  Luckily cleanrooms generally have the best climate control systems imaginable.  So no matter what happens outside, the cleanroom is ALWAYS 50% humidity and 72F.  You can also usually find places where the air flows faster in some places, but the air is always moving in the cleanrooms, so it's never bad no matter what.  

You see the black grid, that looks like just black threads running through the white suit material in the picture above?  Those black threads are actually carbon fiber threads, so they conduct electricity.  Those threads are essential in keeping the entire fab static-free.  The suit actually incorporates all those threads, with a grounding strap tucked into your shoe and out the bottom of the suit's shoe-cover, to keep your entire body static-safe and keep the cleanroom static-free, because the entire suit is grounded.  

Who knew so much thought and technology goes into just keeping the place clean?

dang, you are completely correct. I guess it is true that you need a 99.99% (gotta leave room for a margin of error ;D) clean environment for such highly sensitive equipment. I take it these are the conditions also used when estimating a diodes lifetime.?

Well, in a manufacturing environment, everything is in cleanroom. Manufacture, processing, testing, packaging, all of it. All in varying degrees of cleanliness, but all in cleanrooms. Manufacture and processing are the cleanest, because those are the ones where real damage can be done (a dust particle in the middle of a half-finished chip is worse than a dist particle sitting on a finished chip).

The "class" of a cleanroom tells the level of "cleanliness", as it relates to airborne particulates (which is what that suits are for, people shed a TON, by far the dirtiest things in any given cleanroon). The number of the class refers to the average number of >500nm particles per cubic foot of air. Eg, Class 10 cleanroom has less than 10 particles of a size greater than 500nm per cubic foot of volume in the room. If you've ever seen dust in the air in bright light, you know it's a lot higher than that typically, and 500nm is smaller than the smallest dust that you can see with naked eye (typically around 1000nm is that limit). So that tells you how clean it is.

So chips (referring to silicon computer chips) and electronic devices like diodes are manufactured and processed in really clean environments, and every stop after that gets progressively less clean. Probing is still pretty clean, since bare die aren't packaged yet (testing a device while it's still on a wafer), packaging is fairly clean (this is where they package the devices, chips into those black cases that are what you see, diodes into cans, etc.), and testing is relatively not very clean, since things are all nicely sealed up. In an industrial test lab, for instance, you might see just a lab coat, a hair net, and grounded shoe covers to prevent static, all this as opposed to a full bunny suit in a manufacturing setting down the hall.

In university research, it changes a lot. Money isn't riding on it as much, and there isn't as much money available, so everything is an order of magnitude less clean. Diode crystal growth is done inside chambers, so it's pretty clean; but the systems aren't in cleanrooms, so it's dirty going into and out of the system and stored in a clean box. Processing to make a device is done in a cleanroom typically, but not as clean as industry. Testing could be anywhere. We have optical testing scattered everywhere, with some in cleanroom and some in normal lab space on airtables.

Basically, it really just comes down to how much money and resources you have and how much is riding on the stuff you're making. Industrial manufacturers will spare few expenses, where universities will get by doing the best they can with what they have.

I especially like how the HeNe doesn't have any power connected to it. That thing is magical ;D

Oh, and the arrow pointing to "what is this line?" are you referring to the line coming out the other end of the laser? If so... a little bit of light leaks out that end hehe

Actually I was referring to the random bluish line that is traveling perpendicular to the laser beam.

We have four clean room facilities at our campus, two class 100, a class 10 and a class 1. I've been into all of them and I can tell you they are incredibly clean. The class 1 is in the back, and you get to it from going through the class 10 and 100 rooms. Each room is kept at progressively higher pressure as well so even when you open the door to the previous room nothing gets inside.

Here's a picture of me and my class in our darkroom, a part of the class 100 area. The room is used for exposing and downsizing PCB layouts onto films for screen printing.

It's pretty much impossible to look good when wearing a bunny suit.