Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Starting here.....

Hi all, I was told this place was a good knowledge base for all things laser, and Ive been interested in trying to build some sort of burning laser apparatus since seeing teh videos on kip kays dvd burner/mini mag light hack. Before I get a barrage of stuff about how crappy the project will turn out lol, I'm open to finding other ways of making this thing.

I was browsing around novalasers, I dont really see any internal laser components there as much as totally put together laser pointers.... also don't see any red ones. not that I have to use red but that was just the color of the diode from the dvd burners kip kay showed, and Im pretty sure green is more expensive.

It surprised me how inexpensive the red laser pen cutter was on dX, but also read the FAQ post that mentioned something about being careful which pointers you order from dealXtreme. Which is really besides the point, my initial draw to attempting this was more for the "wow I can build this myself and learn stuff" experience than just having a laser that can burn stuff, so I really dont want to spend 50 dollars just for that.

Mainly I just wanted to introduce myself and kind of get pointed in the right direction so far as, is there a better not too expensive alternative to ripping up a 25 dollar dvd burner i get off ebay, if so does it need to be a red laser of some sort, or what is the best color?

I've never attempted anything like this before Id like to be able to do it for under 40 bucks if possible, so thanks in advance for your time and hit me with any advice you think i need ;)

-the fish

Go here
http://stonetek.org/shop/
Buy this
http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180
this
http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=205
and this
http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=191

Add to that the host of your choice a couple of batteries and a few hours reading and building...then voila! you will be a laser builder complete with bragging rights where ever you go ;)

Regards rog8811

Just for clarification the 200mW Red DX sells is actually very good, there are not many reported problems. Read my review here.

rog88, That looks like good stuff, order actually totals to about 40 bucks which isnt bad at all. 2 questions tho: Does that diode housing module have an actual lens in it?
b/c i heard that at long distances (ie anything a further than the few mm a burner diode is used to) the beam wont be focused or straight or something.

Oh and the 12x30mm brass thing on that website is 6 bucks, straight from aixiz its only 4.50, shouldnt i just order straight from aixiz?

styropro, Yeah i watched the videos on that one, that was actually the red laser i was referring to in my first post, but since i cant post links, i, well, didnt. It looks sweet for 53 bucks, and im sure it will look cleaner than anything i first put together, but like i said im kind of after the learning experience here :)

nvm answered that first question as i found the $4.49 lenses sold separately on the website :)

Also, is cooling a problem for these diodes? Ive got some old silver thermal compound from my pc builds that doesnt conduct electricity, I'd be dying to use for the hell of it lol

How long would I expect the battery life to be on this when im finished?

The one on the Aixiz website for $4.50 does include the lens, but the one on the stonetek site includes a focusing ring which is nice.

Cooling only becomes a problem if you leave the laser on for a long period of time, if you keep a one minute on one minute off duty cycle, you won't need any extra heatsinking.

Im confused, which is better the lens or the focusing ring? Stonetek does sell a lens optional to add to the brass housing, so i guess both are useful?

Fish111 said:
Im confused, which is better the lens or the focusing ring? Stonetek does sell a lens optional to add to the brass housing, so i guess both are useful?
The housing stonetek sells already comes with a lens, that optional lens is a glass lens which is good for red burning lasers.

I see said the fish....

Do you remove the stock lens to put in the other one?

Fish111 said:
I see said the fish....

Do you remove the stock lens to put in the other one?
That's only if you want the glass lens in there, then yes. The stock lens is fine though.

I looked at the chart they said its 10 percent gain or less in power, i dont mind spending 5 bucks for it tho

Ill say one thing the shipping is confusing as hell on this website, how much does regular slow as can be shipping cost?

Fish111 said:
I looked at the chart they said its 10 percent gain or less in power, i dont mind spending 5 bucks for it tho

Ill say one thing the shipping is confusing as hell on this website, how much does regular slow as can be shipping cost?
The glass lenses usually let around 4%-6% more red light through that the stock lenses. Shipping is free on Stonetek.

Just got back to see how you are doing, in good hands I see....

The driver kit is half a dozen parts that when soldered together carefully make a nice safe constant current drive circuit to keep your LD glowing happily for a long time.
This one...
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612
The first few pages have all the most important gen....
You could also use the rckstr drive which fits inside the aixiz module (have a look in buy sell trade)

Regards rog8811
*edit....easy to follow circuit diagram below (with the new senkat reds you need to have a fixed resistor of around 3ohm)

Attachments

• LM317_components01_004.jpg
    LM317_components01_004.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 568
Wait if the laser diode takes 7.2 volts.....

I was planning on using 2 AA batteries I think. I mean I have some mini mag flashlights, unless..... Im confused. Do I still mount this whole apparatus inside something like a mini mag or is the aixiz laser housing the outermost part for this whole project?

Fish111 said:
Wait if the laser diode takes 7.2 volts.....

I was planning on using 2 AA batteries I think. I mean I have some mini mag flashlights, unless..... Im confused. Do I still mount this whole apparatus inside something like a mini mag or is the aixiz laser housing the outermost part for this whole project?
For that circuit you have to use a voltage source of over 6 volts, 7.2 is ideal, so that's five AA batteries. You won't be mounting this in a Minimag, sorry. You can use a flashlight for a host, here is a great tutorial for putting your laser and circuit inside of a nice flashlight.