Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spymodex Red Laser 100 & 200mw

K

kingzilla

Well we have all heard the stories of the spymodex greens not having IR filters and such. ::) I notice that they also make a red laser, it comes in 100 and 200mw powers. Has anyone bought one of these lasers. Since red lasers are just a bare diode, I don't know what could be wrong with them, they can't ahve any IR leakage, right? IF these lasers are what they seem to be, then at $200, this is a much better deal than the WL Pulsar. If they indeed put out 200mw, they this is as good as the WL red spyder at $1800 less! :eek:

Click on picture for more info.....

S

SenKat

I bought two of these from an ebay vendor - selling the EXACT same model. Identical to a T. One works GREAT - and at LESS than $200.00 it is well worth it. The second one was DOA. Nice design - the "ripples" on the body of the laser should be in the front - sort of like a heat sink, but they are on the handle end....The second vid I posted with my daughter in it under the multi-media section shows the 200mw red in action...

K

kingzilla

Can it light matches? Could you post some more pics of thactual unit and maybe some comparisons to a 5mw red? I am really considering buying this, and I want to have idea what it can do. BTW, the case does look really nice....maybe wicked can learn something from spymodex after all. ;D

S

SenKat

Sure thing - gotta wait till later tonight, though....It DOES burn very well - the unit looks nice, too :)

SenKat, I've been very interested in testing out one of those Spymode reds, but because of my severe hate of them and their employees, would never purchase from them, especially in that price range. Would you be interested in letting me borrow one for a few days to test out? If you would be willing to pay the shipping out to here, I'll test it out for you, let you know and post the results, and pay the cost of return shipping back to you. Please tell me what you think at "pseudonomen137@gmail.com". Thanks.

S

SenKat

Timelord said:
How did this test turn out in the end????  :-/

uhm - I have thus far neglected to send Psuedo the laser ::) I think he got impatient and bought one though !

T

timelord

SenKat said:
[quote author=Timelord link=1168106026/0#6 date=1169893937]How did this test turn out in the end????  :-/

uhm - I have thus far neglected to send Psuedo the laser  ::)  I think he got impatient and bought one though !
[/quote]

I can't see him buying one for Spymodex he detests that company LOL ;D

i sent him one i purhased from glowtorch. he did post his findings in an answer to senkat

S

SenKat

Question....here's a copy and paste from Spymodex' web site :
200mW Red laser pointer

A powerful yet modestly priced laser complete with batteries.

Specification:

Range: 15 miles
Continuous output power: 200mW class 3B
Laser diode: 500mW
Power: 2 X CR123A Lithium batteries (included)
Dimensions: 23 X 130mm
Duty cycle: 60 seconds on 10 seconds off
Battery duration: 2.5 hours
Laser life: Up to 5000 hours
Wave length: 650nm
Weight: 65gm

US$ 245.00
UK£ 130.00

uhm......if it has a 500mw diode - why is it outputting only 200mw ? Are they under-driving the diode THAT much ?

S

SenKat

It looks EXACTLY like the "Glowtorch" model I had - and it was focusable by using a dime, or split ring pliers to turn the ring around the lense just inside the aperature. It was a little awkward at first, but was easier as time went along.

Justa note : I think it would be better if you bought that laser from a different source. I have only HEARD bad things about that company - but the simple fact that they are not even aware what type of diode is in it bothers me greatly ! IT does NOT have a 500mw diode in it ! If it did - it would be putting out a lot more power than simply 200mw ! Just trying to help out. There is a company in New Zealand that sells them, for about the same price, too.

I have actually already bought it of an ebay seller. The seller had said to go to the spy modex website for all the specs. on the laser which little circularring thingy do i turn the on on most inner part or on the outer part

S

SenKat

Can you post a link to the auction ? I am just curous if the scammer that was selling them is back in business or not.

Two rings - one can adjust the divergence, and the other can adjust the focus...I cannot recall, actually which is which, sorry :(