Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spyder Artic gives off a lot of "light pollution" - help a newbie out!

Hey everyone, I am new to this site and just bought two spyder artic lasers from two different individuals. Here's my problem: One of them is a very precise beam with a very precise dot. The other, in comparison gives off a lot of light around the beam, which I can only describe as like "light pollution". It almost looks as though the lens is dirty but I cleaned the external glass after taking off the lens and still have the same problem. If you don't understand what I'm talking about ill give you a scenario... When I shoot the normal artic above my truck in the driveway and towards the sky, the truck has almost no light on it. But when I use the one I'm talking about here it lights up the whole truck in addition to the beam in the sky. Another thing is that the dot almost looks fuzzy. Hopefully I described this problem well enough for you guys to know the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Could be moisture on the inside of the lens... did you try cleaning the lens under the cap first? If it's a moisture problem, try a google search on this Forum at the bottom of the page... lots of information there. Good luck :beer:

Unscrew the dust cover lens, hold the inner lens up to a strong lightbulb and see if you can see anything on the inner lens

I have two similar blues one has the pollution not a lot and the other none, its the aperture from the led before it gets to the lens, caused by slight manufacturing defect. the aperture from the arctic is as a lot of blues 2 mm by 5mm and if any tiny bit of metal dag remains around the very edge where the beam of light comes out it will show up as the halo light pollution you mention. There can be other causes but in my experience that's the difference between mine when i look at the metal at the output with an eye glass you can see tiny bits of metal that given better manufacturing would be a perfect rectangle with no metal dags on the edges causing the light to spray out a bit

Last edited:
Cleaned the inner lens quite well, helped a lot but there is for sure some still there. The thing that stinks is the one with this problem is clearly the
more powerful of the two.

Take a picture of the splash how it is now, could just be oil/dirt, could be something much more concerning

Will post pictures when it gets dark with a side by side comparison, do I have enough posts to do so?

Posts i think so, make sure you are really carefull not to leave any residue on the lens spotless clean not oil from fingers at all use gloves to be sure or you could damage your lens and or bake on a bit of oil,lint etc on to the lens and then it will be worse