Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

spirograph project help

i know little to nothing about which motors would work with which potentiometers and which batteries to use, so, here are a few links that should help you tell me which ones to get. if someone could post links to the three that would all work together that would be absolutely fantastic!

motors:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=motor&origkw=motor&sr=1

potentiometers:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=potentiometers&origkw=potentiometers&sr=1

battery holders:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=battery holder&origkw=battery holder&sr=1

any and all help is very much appreciated!

-laser lover

If you use these motors....  http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&sr=1&kw=motor&origkw=motor&parentPage=search

You could modify a 2 AA holder so that the batteries are in parallel then you get 1.5v with a longer use time. Or use it as is with a faster motor speed.

As to pots, I would start with a 1k just to find the actual value needed...... I know this means buying something you may not use but spare pots are always useful.

Regards rog8811

i would say buy a few pots start low i got good luck with 50ohm but with 100k ohm it was barely adjustable.

i ordered some 100 ohms and that should be my sweet spot

ArRaY

Any advice on where to get relatively cheap FS mirrors? I´am still searching for some acrylic mirror sheet like someone here recommended, but still no dice.

Thanks, ArRaY

ArRaY said:
Any advice on where to get relatively cheap FS mirrors? I´am still searching for some acrylic mirror sheet like someone here recommended, but still no dice.

Thanks, ArRaY

Hi: I bought a cosmetic compact with powder in it with a mirror in the top for $1 dollar at the dollar store. Mirror was acrylic about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. It worked perfect using the paint remover and acetone instructable directions. (didn't use the powder LOL) Also got a bag of round glass mirrors ( 15) of various sizes 1/2 to 1 inch diameter at the local fabric store. They are used by DIY ladies who make their own clothes and things. Cost $1.79. They also made great FS mirrors with the paint remover and acetone trick. Have made a 2 mirror spiro and then a 3 mirror spiro with those suckers. They work fine. No more ghost images. Also got tons of motors out of the dvd burners that I took apart for laser diodes. Also in old junk cd burners and readers. Anything that used to spin a disc or open a slide door that held a disc has good motors in them. I tried all 3 motors that radio shack had and no comparison to the ones I got from the dvd burners !!! I took them all back to radio shack.

Good luck.

Docjohn

i can say the 17mm surplus shed mirrors are quite nice! very solid and extremely well packaged!

i suggest them if you want some top notch ready to use mirrors!

ArRaY

I finally came to buying the 28mm diameter FS ones from sureplus shed.
But I can´t make out how to pay them via paypal xD

Buying way to much things lately...
I hope I can resist buying the 20 $ fog machine that was linked somewhere here tormorrow.  ;D
How about a comparison? How many things do you have comming to your house at the moment?
I´am waiting for 7 envelops.

ArRaY

edit: forgot to thank dave for the advice with the surplus optics. Thanks Dave!

daguin

ArRaY said:
I finally came to buying the 28mm diameter FS ones from sureplus shed.
But I can´t make out how to pay them via paypal xD

edit: forgot to thank dave for the advice with the surplus optics. Thanks Dave!

Just send them money through PayPal with your "order number" from them referenced in the PayPal payment.

IIRC there address is surplushed@aol.com

Yes, they get way too much of my money ;)

Peace,
dave

ArRaY

They emailed me with the message that the item that I bought (FS mirrors, round, 25mm dia) are sold out for quite some time, but strangely did not got removed from the page.

Ahhhhhrrrr :'( Can´t be :'(

ArRaY

ArRaY said:
They emailed me with the message that the item that I bought (FS mirrors, round, 25mm dia) are sold out for quite some time, but strangely did not got removed from the page.

Ahhhhhrrrr :'( Can´t be :'(

ArRaY

if u have a hobby lobby around u somewhere they have 1 inch mirrors... 20 of em for $2

Zom-B

If you have a couple of old (possibly harvested) DVD drives (don't have to be burners) then the 45 degree mirrors are the FS mirrors you seek. As small as they are they are perfect for spirographs because the motors have less mass to set in motion.

Small mirrors are quick to reach speed. Big mirrors are easier to aim but the small ones will work OK.

Mike