Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spiro thought...

Just had a quick thought out of the boredom here, two mirrors on a spirograph gives all the effects, three mirrors does the same but warps the effects of two mirrors slightly, four mirrors I have never heard of anyone trying...

I wonder what something like 10 rotating mirrors would do, if you think about it, its impossible to try and work out what it will do.

Would try myself but I only have 2 motors.

that all depends on how much of an angle each one was set to.
you would need to use surface coated mirrors and the end result would probably be a big dot on the wall..

andy_con said:
no i mean the mw lost through 10 mirrors, probably mega

lol no light coming out at the end. you just have to imagine what the projection would look like.

Things

Yeah, dont try using a 1mw red for tis, chances are nothing will come out the other end lol

Could be interesting though, but i'm guessing it would just be a big bunch of scribbles.

Things said:
Yeah, dont try using a 1mw red for tis, chances are nothing will come out the other end lol

Could be interesting though, but i'm guessing it would just be a big bunch of scribbles.

Will use my Viper 75, thats if I ever find enough motors.

Spiros just scribble anyway. they are just doing it so quick it looks like it makes shapes. So you never know.

Things

I mean, like a scribble pattern. Like you get from shining a laser on a speaker playing some music.

BTW regular mirrors are not really suitable for this, since part of the ray is diffracted by the glass itself.

Regular mirrors gives you 2 rays, one with ~90% and another one that is parallel to the first, 10% of the power (or 80% / 20%, depending on the mirror quality).
The space between 2 rays (main one and diffracted one) is proportional to the glass thickness.

For 10 mirrors I would highly recommend first surface mirrors (FSM).
They are not cheap, but you will have minimal power loss (5 or 6%) and no diffraction.

The material used for those FSM is essential too, see that link for example.
http://www.anchoroptics.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=360

RayTracer.

Things

Yeah. Some mirrors give you 4 other outputs even!! FS mirrors are deffinately needed for this if you dont wanna end up with like 20 beams!

FokoF

instead of speaking about it.... Would someone just build the dam thing! ;D someone with CAD skills could work out the sizes required.... just my 10 cents! :D

10 is overkill..

going past 4 or 5 would be overkill

the reason the 3 motor is cool is that it gives you the ability to manipulate perspective so you get virtual 3d. adding a 4th would posibly allow that shape to be warped a little.. after that it seems overkill.