Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan needs fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post. I have a 1 Watt 447nm (+/- 5nm) Spartan from dragonlasers in need of servicing. I would rather send it to someone in the United States for repair than back to China, but to china it will go if need be. The diode may need to be replaced, or maybe just have the lens cleaned. If it is just cleaned, this diode will need to be soldered to wires to reconnect it to the driver. Can anyone help for a reasonable fee?

I was going to post pics, but realized my room mate has my camera now. I can later. A thread titled "burnt out lens Spartan 1W advice" shows pics of a diode in its heat sink, still in the host, that is identical to mine but it doesnt show the back of the module, which needs re-soldering in my case, assuming the diode lens could be cleaned/replaced

I stupidly tried to clean the lens, making it worse. the heat-sink/diode assembly was unscrewed from the driver, causing the wires to twist off of the diode. pretty sure the diode is ok if it could be soldered. the lens may need replacement or cleaning.

jimdt7

Hmm...since the diode cables are disconnected there are two options.
1) You just have to solder them back
2) You broke the diode pins too, so you need a new diode....

Jim

there were no diode pins, only wires. not sure if the diode never had them ,or if dragonlasers or cni or wherever the spartans originate from removed them during manufacture

Hmm...since the diode cables are disconnected there are two options.
1) You just have to solder them back
2) You broke the diode pins too, so you need a new diode....

Jim

Jim, If the pins are broken off, it is not impossible to rescue the diode, but it takes some fancy soldering and epoxy.

i have gotten the diode in the picture to work, but you have to be veeeerrry careful not to short it against the back of the diode. Then cover the back in epoxy to keep the wires from moving.

img0089ii.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.