Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan Beam Really Crooked

This is more of an informing thread, not really looking for any answers.

So I just received my Spartan 1W Blue Laser yesterday from DragonLasers and noticed it had a crooked beam. (Approximate 20 or so degrees) It was so crooked that the cap on the laser was smoking when it was on due to the beam being blocked due to its angle. I had to drill the hole in the cap out bigger so the beam was not blocked. Only reason I drilled this out was because I didn't really want to wait two months for a replacement. The laser seems to be fine otherwise except I have lost the ability to screw the cap plug to the cap. Any thoughts for adjustment in the future?

Dragon lasers seems to want to help. I sent the pictures of the beam angle and they said when the chinese new year is over they will review them. Most likely since I use this as a teaching tool, I will just order another and when that comes in I will send the problem one back for refund if they deem it necessary. All in all, great company so far to deal with. I suppose I was just unlucky!

Yeah my spartan beam does the same thing only not as bad as yours I don't think there is much you can do about it unless you want to take it apart. But really I don't suggest that at all!

I may just say forget sending it back. It works well enough with it crooked. Even though I cannot fix the cap plug to the cap its not a huge deal. The next laser I will probably purchase from survival lasers. I do have a quick question if someone could answer this though. (Figured I wouldnt open a seperate thread.)

When ordering a Survival Laser Kit, does this come disassembled and all you do is put it together? Is the laser diode already seated?

Also, why do they choose to sell their lasers as a kit instead of assembled?

Yes you only need to assemble several parts together. No soldering, no diode seating/fitting, no wiring.

In the US it is ILLEGAL to SELL a COMPLETE laser without FDA Safety Features (key, delay start, shutter, safety plug, etc) over 5mW. So, sell parts instead and it is perfectly legal.

Understood! Has there been any issues with crooked beams with Survival Lasers? I have the feeling most likely mine was crooked due to quality control in China...

Wish I knew about Survival Laser Store before I purchased the Spartan.

Last edited:
This is very disappointing from DL, you should ask for partial refund.

D

Deleted member 22482

For Sale:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/wts-spartan-1w-laser-crooked-beam-70730.html

It is going to be a hassle to get this back to China, and I will have to pay a lot for shipping. If someone else wants this laser I will cut them a deal. Just PM me.

Considering shipping from Sweden to China is 25 tracked, it shouldnt be a bigger deal from US (like half?) and I think the refund is worth the shipping cost.

And if you are a budget guy - I'd rather go with a build from here then SL. SL are cheaper then most companies but still more expensive then the average hobbyist sale. But, if you want to be assured of receiving a working, good and up to spec unit - I can't stop you. Gary at SurvivalLasers is a nice guy who gives excellent support.

And, if you are going to send back the laser unit to Dragon, make sure it's tracked. Sometimes the chinese companies tell you they haven't received the unit to get rid of you and save money and blame it on your countries post system.

And, last, when you say teaching - I hope you don't mean pointing at for example whiteboards?

Considering shipping from Sweden to China is 25 tracked, it shouldnt be a bigger deal from US (like half?) and I think the refund is worth the shipping cost.

And if you are a budget guy - I'd rather go with a build from here then SL. SL are cheaper then most companies but still more expensive then the average hobbyist sale. But, if you want to be assured of receiving a working, good and up to spec unit - I can't stop you. Gary at SurvivalLasers is a nice guy who gives excellent support.

And, if you are going to send back the laser unit to Dragon, make sure it's tracked. Sometimes the chinese companies tell you they haven't received the unit to get rid of you and save money and blame it on your countries post system.

And, last, when you say teaching - I hope you don't mean pointing at for example whiteboards?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Also I do not point at whiteboards LOL. I teach people about astronomy so I use it for pointing at various objects in the sky.

I suppose I can just wait for the Chinese new year to be over and get back in contact with Frank at Dragon Lasers to see when he will do for me. If I could get a full refund, that would be ideal.