Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sparks flying from lithium ion battery

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
i was wondering if its normal for my blue laser with a 18650 lithium ion battery to create sparks when it is just about to be touching both ends of the laser (right before it is put in basically). the sparks are rather large and can be heard crackling. one end of the battery is touching the bottom of the laser battery compartment, and the other end makes contact slightly with the body of the laser and the area near the top of the battery container

just wondering if this is normal

thanks for and help

regards
-avery

Razako

It sounds like the battery is shorting out on the case of the laser somehow. Is the plastic wrapper around the 18650 in good condition? If the insulation around the battery is in poor condition you can get shorts. Btw what brand of 18650 is this? Trustfire/ultrafire/other...

it shouldnt...as razako said maybe it has a protection circuit that is conflicting..

Chad

Get a new battery! ;)

I've had that happen a few times... it's just a short somewhere. Or the coating's bad. :p

ixfd64

Wow, that sounds scary. I would try using a different battery and see if it still happens.

That's a short. Lithium battery that's not in a managed pack like a laptop pack, and is unvented, is very volatile in the wrong conditions.
Find the problem spot and FIX IT if you want your laser to not become a hand grenade.

Don't tell me lithium doesn't explode. I know it doesn't, it just reacts violently but if you confine such a reaction it creates pressure, the case ruptures THEN it explodes.