Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space Discussion Thread

I have a 100-400mm lens right now and since Jupiter should be showing up at night was thinking maybe I can get some decent pictures out of it. Sorta wish I had bought a sky tracker though.

Will you be using a Canon Full Frame or APS-C?
You won't need a tracker until you start using more focal length.
Use a tripod and your lens at 400mm.
Use manual live focus at 10x to focus on Jupiter as the camera will have a hard time to autofocus on the planet.
Best to use Mirror Lockup and a 2 sec delay to minimise shutter vibration.
Do not use Image Stabilisation on your lens if on a tripod, disable it.
Put White Balance to "Sunny" only and use ISO around 400 or 800 (depending on conditions) and play around with the shutter speed so that it doesn't blow out the highlights on Jupiter but allows the moons to show up too.
You'll see Jupiter as a small dot and it's moons next to it as tiny dots.
Use the website I linked to so you can see the position of the moons at that time.

Let us know how you go.
RB

(y)

Using a Sony 100-400mm GM on a Sony A7R iii Mirrorless. I'll be shooting raw as well. But yeah, hopefully I can get a good shot of Jupiter. I took this picture of the moon few months back.

Superb moon shot buddy.
I look forward to what you get shooting Jupiter.
Make sure you share with us.

RB
(y)

BTW here's another shot of Jupiter I took back in 2005.
No Jovian moons visible this time but you can see the GRS (Great Red Spot) which is (as you know) a raging storm on Jupiter many times bigger than the earth itself!

Jupiter.jpg

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Remarkable images from both of you. (y)
Andrew, to think in many years time, you possibly could of photographed something that won't exist any more.
The GRS is possibly dying.

Yeah I tried my best. Without a longer focal length, I don't think I can get the image size any bigger than this.
Very, very cool blazingfire.
Love those moons, all in a row.
(y)
Remarkable images from both of you. (y)
Andrew, to think in many years time, you possibly could of photographed something that won't exist any more.
The GRS is possibly dying.
Thanks Curtis.
Yep, I know, its true, the GRS is dying.
But, I probably won't exist either by the time it does, hahahahaha
So, no royalties, nada, zip, zilch.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

kecked

The very beginning of this thread asks what will interstellar travel be like. I think it will be lonely and those that do it will be antisocial and full of phobias and anxiety by the time they arrive. We are not made for long periods of time alone. They might not even be able to talk anymore. It will also be really stinky. Likely they will die from an infection.

I wish I could Jupiter as clear as yours astro. Maybe one day.. if I ever get a telescope and a better light-sensitive camera.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter

Because, slime + space station, what could possibly go wrong. :D Would be fun as heck to throw slimed filled water balloons at each other in Zero G though. :D

diachi

Starhopper first test hop expected tonight.

Live stream:

Window is 4PM-Midnight local time I believe.

Edit: Road closures were apparently at 2PM not 4PM. NOTAM issued for the area due to "SPACE OPERATIONS" currently in effect as of 1900UTC (Currently 1948UTC).

Edit: Roads still open according to the latest. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe changed back to 4PM.

Last edited: