Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space Discussion Thread

I think Cassini had a 1 Megapixel camera. With today's tech it'd be worth another probe to visit the planets with how compact and efficient they could be. You could fit several more instruments, have room for more than one advanced mini probe for more moon explorations, a 50Mp camera... It's kind of funny how the documentary talks about the beauty of the Cassini images while they show a bunch of CGI with an occasional super pixely black and white real image of the rings. Just look at how good the pictures of Pluto turned out.

BobMc

I just finished watching the live feed for the Cassini, end of mission commentary. And looking back at the recap, what an incredible accomplishment the entire mission has been.
Especially the data gathered about Enceladus, and the continuing knowledge that is being gained as the collected data is examined.

While watching this, I couldn't help but feel that special sense of awe and wonder for what was accomplished.
And all this has once again provided some hope and inspiration for our future potentials.

And for those that haven't checked out the live feeds for the ISS and other goings on and missions @Nasa I encourage all to check out NASA TV via the link below.

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

Howdy CE5; just got through watching a youtube video where they were discussing CE4's research project's research into how to stop an Alien abduction. Was wondering if you had heard about them? Thought it was pretty interesting. :thinking:

Last edited:

Benm

I think Cassini had a 1 Megapixel camera. With today's tech it'd be worth another probe to visit the planets with how compact and efficient they could be. You could fit several more instruments, have room for more than one advanced mini probe for more moon explorations, a 50Mp camera...

Megapixel count is not what makes camera quality. You need the pixel size to be large in low light conditions, as well as some radiation hardening to deal with the conditions in space - cosmic rays and such produce a lot of noise, something like the camera out of your smartphone would probably not perform that well in space even if kept at operating temperature.

Also they use switchable filters for these cameras so they can make images in various spectra, visible but also IR or UV mostly.

As for ditching it into the planet instead of keeping it in orbit as long as possible, i think it's a good choice. If we visit those moons again and find life there, it would be important to be sure that we did not bring it there. Earth microogranisms can survive in space for quite some time and perhaps flourish if eventually discarded in a liveable habitat.

CE5

Howdy CE5; just got through watching a youtube video where they were discussing CE4's research project's research into how to stop an Alien abduction. Was wondering if you had heard about them? Thought it was pretty interesting. :thinking:

These outwardly christian posers have obviously not read or understood Ezekiel, or several other passages in the very Bible they are grifting.

Benm

Guess that'd be better for the religion thread - this one is more about science ;)

BobMc

These outwardly christian posers have obviously not read or understood Ezekiel, or several other passages in the very Bible they are grifting.

Confused, intriguing but confusing, please explain. :thinking:

Gamma Ray laser, anyone?! :p

Excessively large laser is key to creating gamma ray sources
Big laser forces electrons to emit gamma rays (or else the positron gets it).

Read more @ ArsTechnica >>

BELLA-laser-800x532.jpg

Benm

I'm not really sure what that type of laser would be good for - perhaps something like nuclear fusion tests? Or perhaps testing material properties for things to be used in nuclear reactors and such, although i suppose neutron bombardment would be the bigger issue there.

diachi

Some sort of gamma imaging/spectroscopy I'd imagine?

On another note, Falcon Heavy late December, get hype!

Rivem

Some sort of gamma imaging/spectroscopy I'd imagine?

On another note, Falcon Heavy late December, get hype!

Elon already put it on the sideburner and spoiled the hype by announcing the BFR.:crackup:

The world's governments totally will go for using a crazy big rocket in place of conventional planes...
They totally didn't decide it was a terrible idea like 50 years ago. :whistle:

diachi

Elon already put it on the sideburner and spoiled the hype by announcing the BFR.:crackup:

The world's governments totally will go for using a crazy big rocket in place of conventional planes...
They totally didn't decide it was a terrible idea like 50 years ago. :whistle:

Seeing two boosters land at once will be something else though! :p

Rivem

Seeing two boosters land at once will be something else though! :p

Yep. I really don't think saying you'll build a bigger, better rocket is really something you should do before your current big rocket has even been proven. Oh well, that's what happens when silicon valley gets into rockets.

For context:

The problem with this so called economic recovery is most people haven't seen any increase in their personal income. In fact, the middle class is set to suffer more with a passage of the tax plan still rolling around congress. The only real winners will be the rich....as is usually the case.

Well taxing the hell out of the people who invest in our jobs, many of those jobs which will be coming home Thank you Mr. Trump, was not working, maybe it's time for some real change?