Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Space Discussion Thread

gazer101

My bets are on destroying large planes and outer objects with powerful lasers. Don't think about transporting ourselves with particle physics, instead, we are going to destroy each other with that specialized weaponry and stuff. Vaporizing a man in no time in real life.
Military has already tried that... we don't have optics or gain media that can withstand the kinds of temperatures required for "vaporizing a man in no time in real life..." Not to mention how the lack of portable power sources (be it for chemical or solid state) lasers have made it impossible to bring the lasers down to a comfortable form factor. Give it a few decades maybe, but by then we should already be on the moon

paul1598419

My bets are on destroying large planes and outer objects with powerful lasers. Don't think about transporting ourselves with particle physics, instead, we are going to destroy each other with that specialized weaponry and stuff. Vaporizing a man in no time in real life.
Your views remind me of Ronald Reagan's strategic defense initiative aka Star Wars. He believed, wrongly, that the USA could be protected from nuclear weapons with a laser system and spent $1 trillion in the 1980s attempting to make that happen. That was a lot of money in the 1980s, wasted.

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
^I heard about that! Kind of amazing seeing as hostile of a planet it is. :)

-Alex

RedCowboy

I'm sure in enough time will in time discover life all over the place, but soon I will be thrilled to see us going back to the moon and maybe soon to Mars.