Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Source for low current blue diodes?

Hi all.
I am after some small junction type blue 445 or 405nm diodes for an optical disk recovery device.

Does anyone have a source for these?
The ones used in the PS3 slim optics look promising but my one has negligible output power due to it being a used part.
It has to be a canned diode ideally but I could make it work with a plastic package.
Ideal output power 15 to 70mW as I do not want to burn the disk under recovery :)
445nm could be better as 405nm might damage the red dye used.

thanks!!
-A

Thanks! I obtained a broken Sony (is there any other sort) PS3 Slim optic module.
As it has a similar diode I took it out, and it does seem to lase at least weakly.
Estimated power with Mr Ghetto Sensor made of PS3 BRIR is about 4mW at 40mA which is probably about right considering the unit was scrap.

has anyone managed to do a graph of these diodes yet? The PS3 Slim has a similar style to the PHR-803T so hopefully the diodes will be similar.

Also I need to start a new thread about solar cell hacking, as it seems that these are being used now for UAV charging with lasers.