Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Soundlaser

Hey guys, i was looking thru kickstarter and came across something pretty cool. Its called a soundlaser, for $25 you get the basic kit to DIY. Its been 100% funded so this will be made. Figured some of yall might think this would be a fun project.

Soundlazer by Richard Haberkern — Kickstarter

T_Warne

Very interesting little doohickey. I really like the idea of owning my very own "SpeechJammer." ( I wonder how hard it would be to scale it up for more db and range? )

It looks like for $25 you just get " the blank boards only. Components are not included. "

Jesus! Look at all the tiny soldering. " Many of the surface mount components are size 0402 which is going to make prototyping this board a bit tricky."

ah, i see you are right. They just provide you a part list. You have to pledge $175 for a fully functional one... Maybe not so great after all.

T_Warne

Considering how many microscopic surface-mount bits need to be placed and how crowed some areas of the board are, it would be worth jumping in at $175 just to save my sanity. I do not have a reflow oven... doing all that with an iron would not be fun.

Benm

I wonder how much those components, if you are even able to get hold of all of them. I case you need to ship them from several suppliers, it might even be more expensive then getting the complete unit.

Hiemal

On a somewhat related note, I remember reading about something similar to this;

It basically involves the same technology; just, instead of just simply reproducing sound, it induces a 0.2 second delay in audio (microphone) and then spits it back out...

What it does is confuse your brain; when it hears the delay your mind will go blank, and you won't be able to even finish your sentences. Quite literally shutting someone up with science. :)

Last edited:

T_Warne

Yes! The SpeechJammer!!! I need one so that I can get a word in edgewise with my wife.

Immagine the look on her face the first time I turn that bad boy on....

Last edited: