Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act)

Jaseth

I think it is too late to call congress about it now but I think everyone should know about it anyway.

Wiki article about SOPA

"Stop American Censorship" website

Today was the markup of the SOPA bill. This is a bad day for the internet.

UPDATE:
"After the first day of the hearing, more than 20 amendments had been rejected, including one by Darrell Issa which would have stripped provisions targeting search engines and Internet providers. PC World reported that the 22-12 vote on the amendment could foreshadow strong support for the bill by the committee.

The House Judiciary Committee adjourned on the second day and has scheduled a vote for December 21.
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act#Markup_outcome

Looks like there is a good chance at least a few of the vital amendments will be rejected despite being backed by giants such as the MPAA, Viacom, Nike, L'Oréal and many more.

Last edited:

I think it is too late to call congress about it now but I think everyone should know about it anyway.

Wiki article about SOPA

"Stop American Censorship" website

Today was the markup of the SOPA bill. This may be the beginning of the end of the internet.

No, but it will be the end of me being able to use US DNS servers.

The act is absolutely retarded. I called, emailed, and signed a dozen petitions over the past few months.

First there was the patriot act that took away our rights out in the real world.

Now if SOPA passes... internet rights as we know them are history.

Just to bring it closer to home, K@$10 could technically shut down this forum on a whim under the provisions of SOPA/Protect IP.

Meanwhile, don't remember if it was denmark or another european country... ruled that online piracy is legal due to a finding that two thirds of the population regularly engage in actions that could be defined as piracy.

Last edited:
lol stop piracy....
thats just impossible.
i even support piracya half...its great to test games to see if they are worth purchasing.
For example almost all games made from movies look great, but play like crap.
someone wanted to put down thepiratebay a LONG time ago....well its still there. so if that site is down what will they do next?
do that shit like in post 1.....right. IP masks ect anyone?

Come on people. These guys can try, but they cant prevail.

Jaseth

@ borgqueenx
Why reply to the thread when you haven't read the information from either of the links?
With this bill passed, the government will be able to stop Paypal and Google from working together with any website violating copyright laws. No Google Adsense = no money to pay for hosting content.

Last edited:
Ah sorry for not reading, but the point stays desame.
Websites will then just ask more donations, or go with another ads system although everyone knows google pays the best.
Ive just read the article, and it seems the goverment will probaly first research and maybe sue the owner of the site. Anyways that what i get out of "court orders". I dont think thats something that goes quickly. Enough time to revamp, rehost the site or hire another ads company.
Plus people can always host their own site somewhere else where the us is not in control. And if they make providers block a site, well like i said theres ip masks ect.
No matter what people will try, there will be ways to solve it when its digital.
This is simply the way the digital world works.

Things

Seeing as it's only an American bill, I'd say as long as the content is hosted anywhere outside of the US (Like it is already anyway), then really all they can do is stop access to it, as well as ads like you said. There is always gonna be a way around it, they're just trying to make it harder. I don't think I know a single person that uses the internet that hasn't pirated something in that time, I think instead of trying to censor the internet, they should be looking at ways to stop the content getting there in the first place. Better rip protection on DVD's, cinema screens that run at a weird FPS rate that camera's can't record properly, for music, maybe a computer hardware signature.

There will always be proxies and tunnels you can sneak through to get the content anyway, and the US has no control over what websites in other countries do (Unless they come on board with the act, of course)

^^^Stopping digital content, or content of any kind from propagating is a lost cause.

In part it's why SOPA/Protect IP act are being pushed through. Companies have attempted every imaginable means of preventing people from duplicating content, but it's just not possible.

So now instead the approach is to go after the content provider after it is made public.

While I agree that on a technical level it's not going to work, you also have to realize that if this measure passes in the US you're likely going to see the same kind of BS legislature pop up elsewhere, such as in EU nations, and yes australia.

Btw, between IP/mac there is already a hardware signature. Of course that information can be hidden or spoofed but than it comes down to a cat and mouse game of who has more technical know how, and is willing to put in the effort.

Since torrents became a fact of life, content creators should have focused a whole lot more on better content delivery. Not content control.

The biggest pirates are also typically the biggest consumers of legitimate products.

Most people if presented with an option for a more simple and more flexible process, that is cheap vs the option of pirating, would pay.

Piracy as a whole is never going away though. Trying to legislate away human nature simply doesn't work.

Ablaze

I give SOPA <5% chance of passing. It has too many opponents, some of which have BIG money (like Kapersky). However, this is really a lot like the PATRIOT act in that some version of it pops up every couple of years and is repeatedly shot down until something happens and it gets through. Once a bill like this is passed there will be no going back short of revolution.

I give SOPA <5% chance of passing. It has too many opponents, some of which have BIG money (like Kapersky). However, this is really a lot like the PATRIOT act in that some version of it pops up every couple of years and is repeatedly shot down until something happens and it gets through. Once a bill like this is passed there will be no going back short of revolution.

I suspect it will pass in some form or another, but will be shot down in supreme court.

The patriot act renewal is one of the reasons I no longer consider the obama administration to be good for this country.

The statistics bear out that in the overwhelming majority of cases, the patriot act provisions were not used as intended, but rather in non terrorist related situations to bypass other laws.

Unfortunately it's a favorite tactic of law enforcement to rely on outdated and misinterpreted provisions.

So... anyone know what a thousand dead lawyers at the bottom of the sea are called?:p

It's worrying that the root DNS servers are controlled by the US, any legislation they pass has a major impact on the whole internet, not just the US. From what I've heard the SOPA bill is quite the disaster, as in limiting freedom and allowing companies to censor the internet.

Last edited:
It's worrying that the root DNS servers are controlled by the US, any legislation they pass has a major impact on the whole internet, not just the US. From what I've heard the SOPA bill is quite the disaster, as in limiting freedom and allowing companies to censor the internet.

In it's current form, SOPA will be killed.

I'm sure it will make it out of committee (holy crap I couldn't spell that for the life of me!) but that's where it will end.

There are absolutely no checks and balances to this piece of legislation, and both politicians and corporations do have a bit of a track record for not being responsible... google the McCain campaign for example.

The issue of messing around with DNS is also problematic to say the least. If it does occur the backlash will result in an essentially two tier internet, and force me to suffer slow speeds as I tunnel out of the the US censorship cage.

I love seeing a retarded company get reminded that customers are in fact in charge...

This little gem arrived in my inbox a few minutes ago:D

Our staff has responded to your request, details of which are described below:

Discussion Notes
Support Staff Response

Go Daddy Customer,

We recently published our position on the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). Many customers responded, and we want you to know that we listened.

Go Daddy is no longer supporting SOPA.

"Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation - but we can clearly do better," Warren Adelman, Go Daddy's newly appointed CEO, said. "It's very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."

For more information on our position, please visit x.co/statement.

We appreciate your business and your feedback, and hope to continue our partnership in your online endeavors.

Sincerely,

Go Daddy

Hi,

Just wanted to mention exactly why I'm not renewing with your company.

It's your stance on SOPA.

I know it's not much but I'll take my business elsewhere to a company
who won't censor me at the drop of a hat from an over reaching
corporate bureaucrat.

Sincerely,

Former Customer.

If you need further assistance with this matter, please reply to this email and reference Incident ID: ********.

Oh fuuuuuuuu*

Just let it BE! GFD. Everythings fine. The internet should operate on its own. World commerce. The US cant simply put a wall down on such. Its too difficult to regulate, connections with different countries would be at jeopardy and thus problems would arise.

The government DOESNT represent us people. They REPRESENT a group of rich collaborators more interested in profit. Profit is everything these days. And quite frankly, I support these revolutions going on in the world.

I suggest popular sovereignty for this bill. The houses are far too engulfed about profits and money. Look at the presidential cabinet. Former CEOs and corporate leaders. Let the people decide this one out.

Put this bill in the trash where it belongs :banned:

I love politics as a college student ;). Now you have nice day.

Hey, it could be like South Korea where youtube requires real name id to sign up and post comments. Democracy here is very limited, though it's supposed to be a democratic nation
old dictatorship elements here are alive and well.
I think this bill is unbelievably short sighted. GET RID OF IT! I must agree that the idea of Government is to represent the people's interest, not big multinational corporations or the top 1%.

^^^Do dig up. There is actually a protest scheduled later this week in NYC... if I can put together a couple hours of free time, I might head over, with work it's doubtful though.

I don't think either of these bills will make it through, or if they do, I expect a lawsuit from google instantly.

The provisions in them are downright extreme... and the current changes to regarding dns don't go near far enough. I mean it's a system designed on a concept of guilty until proven innocent, with enforcement through de-funding, and best of all, the power would reside with PRIVATE entities. The same entities that have proven to be quite inept in the past.

Fact of the matter is the whole system of copyrights is screwed up... not the internet.