Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony LD -- Line through projected spot

I've been running my DIY flashlight laser with a Senkat LD at just under 250mA for about 15 minutes of total run time..  Never more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

A line has appeared through the projected spot recently and it seems to fade in and fade out randomly. It's not the lens as the line does not change orientation when rotating the lens though the line does seem to focus with the spot.  I can't see anything amiss in the raw LD output either.  There are no apparent occlusions and nothing visible on the LD window (I have a stereo microscope).  It seems to be the LD itself.  The power does not seem affected (no power meter yet).

Here's a picture of the spot:

DSCF0650sm.jpg

Ignore the large ugly blob; It's a camera artifact.   Has anyone ever seen this before?

Thats what mine looked like for awhile it worked jsut fine

Then it burned out like 4 min ago ahhhh!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

T

timelord

This is quite a normal thing with these diodes so don't be alarmed all is well ;)

yes8s

Same here!! Also a couple of mine developed a slight halo. But all work fine.

I believe that both the line and halo have something to do with the window. With each one I have, those artifacts disappeared when I opened the can and removed the window and top section from the beam path.

C

Chris.

GreyFox said:
I believe that both the line and halo have something to do with the window. With each one I have, those artifacts disappeared when I opened the can and removed the window and top section from the beam path.

How did you remove the end, a file?

Gazoo

My open can diode does also have a line through it, but it does not effect performance.

Chris. said:
How did you remove the end, a file?

No, I used a diamond wheel and removed the entire front portion of the can, cleaning up the edges all the way down to the base.

LarryQ

I have an Open can diode and a GB diode that have this line...

I also believe it is a light leak in the junction..but it doesn't hurt my burning at all!!!!!

When you have 325mA going through a GB diode...it's hard to get upset about that line when whatever you point the laser at smokes on contact!  :cool:

If anyone asks..just tell them it's a "Saturn's Ring" beam..very hard to produce....very rare....and very beautiful!

hehehehehhe

Larry

its very normal, In fact, I used that line to tell me when it was focused. When you can clearly see the line it is focused. At least for mine it was like that....

KEEP your laser safe.

DONT get over suspicios and open it up to do a "check"

DO NOT put too much pressure on the driver circut.

learn from my mistakes and dont make them.

thanks

amk

OMG TUESDAY IS ALMOST HERE

I hate the line in my lasers. I don't think it is normal. In fact, I think the very fact that there is leakage from the junction is a sign of defective production methods. There are also a few reports of the line appearing only after pushing the diode past a certain limit.

It just seems like word of mouth that this line thingy is normal because many people have it. It could also be the case that many people are ignorant about the issue and just following what other people say until it becomes normal.

I would like a more convincing explanation to tell me my laser is not being killed slowly or already dying even though it is still performing up to mark. Still it might be perfectly normal. :-/

It may well have something to do with pushing them to their limits. The line wasn't there initially and appeared after some limited use. I'm pretty sure it's the junction itself because as someone pointed out, the line focuses with the beam. It's odd that the line seems to fade in and out randomly. Sometimes it's very noticeable and others, it's barely perceptible.

it wasnt tuesday where I live when I posted that.

it is now

sorry for off topic

dont worry about it, its normal. If youre scared then down ur pot 10 or 20 mA's, Not what I would do, but if ur suspicios tht ur pshing ur diode to the limits that would help.