Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Someone picked up my 100mw red and looked into it!

One of my friends is a littlle weird. I told him to be careful with the red laser but he intentionally looked straight into it. :eek: He doesn't listen very well.

He said he can see fine, but I'm sure there is unseen damage. It wasn't fully collimated, but still.

Re: Someone picked up my 100mw red and looked into

Rule 1: if you even think somone is dumb enuf to even possibly do that dont let him get near it.

Rule 2: reapeat rule 1

I know theres quite a few people at my school who stare at those cheapo red lasers and im sure theyd stare at the bright ones..he just said it wont hurt be its just like looking at the sun then i said i had one that could pop a baloon, "that wont hurt its just like looking at the sun, it can pop a baloon with a magnyfing glass"... just fiy if you point the spot from a magnifying glass in your eye its gona sting alitle bit..

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Thanks, but I really don't give it to people who would abuse it. I know this guy from way back.from 6 years ago. I hadn't seen him until recently. I was showing him the laser by shinning it at the water tower and he was really hype. I let him see it and he looked into it. I didn't know he would do that.

yea i would have smacked him across the head ;D

That wouldn't be fair, he wouldn't be able to find me right away. :eek:

Gazoo

Lesson learned! I had a friend visit me recently and of course he wanted to play with my lasers.. ;D The very first thing I told him was whatever you do...do not look into it as it can permanently blind you..

That should be rule number 1.

Then I went on to explain all the other safety things. Of course he wanted to light matches so I made him wear goggles too.

I don't let people play with any lasers I own. It's safer that way, under lock and key.

tomcat

all the guys at work clammer for my dx when i bring it in to annoy the admins with a green dot for them to chase...

one idiot chav grabs ahold of it and says whats this little laser thing? and shines his eye saying oh these arnt powerful.. he was partially blind for a few days....

Benm

Oh well, there is a warning label on it for a reason... and if you tell people not to shine it into their eyes and they do so anyway dispite all warnings it's their mistake really.

The problem is that there are warning labels on everything these days, making people ignore them more and more. Perhaps there should be a distinction for labels that go on things that are really dangerous (and unexpectedly so), and those that go on things that need disclaiming.

Ref

Benm said:
Oh well, there is a warning label on it for a reason... and if you tell people not to shine it into their eyes and they do so anyway dispite all warnings it's their mistake really.

The problem is that there are warning labels on everything these days, making people ignore them more and more. Perhaps there should be a distinction for labels that go on things that are really dangerous (and unexpectedly so), and those that go on things that need disclaiming.
Well, there arent disclaimers on 3W LED flashlights, but most people wouldn't stare into the lens of one. Shining lasers in your eyes should be one of those things that needs no disclaimer to warn you from..like grabbing coals from a fire, running your buddie's foot over with an M1A1, shooting one's self, etc...

No one should be able to sue anyone else over something not having a warning lable on it, anyways. If you get hurt from misuse of a product, thats Darwinism in action.

With that said, I warn my friends about lasers if they're around when I have them out, but for some reason, a lot of the time they just don't want to listen/believe you. I'll have to get one of those little leather keychain things that come with a lot of wallets/shoes to keep on me and demonstrate why I get anal about beams flying inches from my face and the faces of others.

Jeez, all of my friends aren't that stupid... It's pretty much common sense that if a laser can burn leather, it probably isn't very healthy for eyesight...
I agree. Darwinism in action.
But it pisses me off when they tell me to light up helicopters. ::)

I keep my lasers padlocked in a Pelican case. That's serious enough that the people I show them to get the idea before I turn them on.

Plus its all black so it melts good :p I also keep little wads of the removed foam in there to cut through in like 0.5 seconds lol

Though +1 on above, I always have to explain why not to shine it on aircraft.

Razako

Anyone who would do that shouldn't be allowed near lasers/guns/knives and possibly stairs ;D

I let my friend use my dx true 20 outside once and after telling him not to point it at reflective stuff about 100 times I look and see him pointing it at parked cars with the beam bouncing off in every imaginable direction ::)

I tend to keep my lasers away from anyone. As soon as i mention that these can burn they generally are really cautious. All i have to do is show it to someone that it burns plastic and lights a match and they wouldnt want to look into it.

How long did you friend look into it for? Lucky it wasnt collimated for burning. Black pupil + burning lazer = VERY BAD EVEN FOR A SPLIT OF A SPLIT SECOND.

Ref

Yeah, whenever I have a high powered red on me, I keep some matches nearby.

"Hey, lemme see that thing.."

*lights match and hands it to them*

"Oh shit, man! Put that thing away!"

You needn't say a word. :p