Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Somebody w/ a green or blue laser... a favor

Buy a peice of aerogel and shine your laazerrr through it. :) Since it looks differant colors depending on where you view it... perhaps... and how cool would this be... perhaps it could change the color of a green laser while passing throgh it! :)

I would post some links but it will not let me. Hurray ....

I've wanted a piece of aerogel for years, I'm sure you would get a pretty sweet effect if you shined a laser through it.

iewed

If I could get a small block (instead of those fragments) of it for under $50, I probably would.

I might buy a chunk off of eBay, but I need to sell my DX 30 first.

Switch

I don't know man...I wouldn't trust thei shipping with somthing that's 99.8% air.It'll probably be granular by the time you get it anyway ;D

About the only way aerogel would change the color of the beam is if the material fluoresced. Otherwise you would just see the wavelength of the laser.

Switch

FrothyChimp said:
About the only way aerogel would change the color of the beam is if the material fluoresced. Otherwise you would just see the wavelength of the laser.
But very awesomely :D I wonder if any diffraction would occur :-/

glona

i just found a nice size chunk on e-bay and bid on it, thears a whole glass sized piece on the bay also for only a coupple k!!! lol

glona

oooooo can any one say super heat sinc? or woudl this just hold heat in?

iewed

I was thinking it would make one hell of a heat sink. If you bought the sphere, drilled a hole in the center, put a DX 200mW Green in there. You'd have a $170, 200mW 532nm laser. Pretty good deal IMHO.

Amnizu

glona said:
oooooo can any one say super heat sinc? or woudl this just hold heat in?
aerogelcrayons.jpg

You tell me.

It's an insulator.
Not a heatsink.

You would most likely cook your laser.

iewed said:
I was thinking it would make one hell of a heat sink. If you bought the sphere, drilled a hole in the center, put a DX 200mW Green in there. You'd have a $170, 200mW 532nm laser. Pretty good deal IMHO.
It wouldn't heatsink the laser at all, it would trap the heat made by the laser. So it would fry your laser if you put aerogel around it!

iewed

If it has no effect on the crayons above it, if you cut a circle in the middle, I don't think it would fry the laser.

You would have better heatsinking by sticking it in a block of wood...

The reason it doesn't do anything to the crayons is because they don't produce any heat themselves, now try it with a laser and it prevents any heat from escaping and making that spot heat up drastically.

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Amnizu

wooooooolazer said:
The reason it doesn't do anything to the crayons is because they don't produce any heat themselves, now try it with a laser and it prevents any heat from escaping and making that spot heat up drastically.

W...what? Seriously? Are you... differently abled or something? It's because the aerogel doesn't conduct heat at all.