Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some really cool melting reflections :D

I've noticed the reflection on the wall when you melt something with a laser is really cool, abstract, beautifully random even, so this is now one of my favorite things to do with my lasers, but never have I captured it on camera so well, as it's usually quite dim. It's an even cooler effect in person, because as your target melts the reflections move and expand until the beam punches through.
Last night I was doing it with my 445nm and 532nm portable and the results were quite impressive, so while melting a red solo cup I decided to snap these;

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 385
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 309
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 471
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 17,690

Aha. You have entered the lumia zone. (also known as lumina to some.)
A truly immersive lighting experience.
On multi-band gas lasers, often the cast off colors are routed through lumia generators for that distorted color changing warping and wrapping that fills in the area.
I would say more but I think you will learn better if you look it up yourself and make your own decision.
You might try reading all about it over at PL.(photonlexicon)

Awesome pictures too !
:wave:

Additionally, if you want to talk to someone about Lumia, pm Hakzaw1.
He has a ton of lumia projectors that he builds.
I saw them at SELEM 2011 and it is amazing what he can do with stuff he finds at thrift stores. :)

madog

If you are careful, and your lasers are powerful enough, you can get some cool effects from a cd/dvd. It resembles what a "big bang" might look like.

Thanks for the info guys!

If you are careful, and your lasers are powerful enough, you can get some cool effects from a cd/dvd. It resembles what a "big bang" might look like.

I've actually tried this, very cool looking. :evil: