Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some pics, people, and lasers from SELEM 2011.

Lasers. Serious business.

3993009372_2e6a6a9346.jpg

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Hmm, now as small as I thought. Nice:)

So how did you guys set off the fire alarm:whistle:

Like any savvy LEM boss, Buffo had all the bases covered-- pretty much.
The door to the back stage was getting opened a lot(biggest attendance of any LEM) so the haze/fog drifted into area where the alarms were still active. N/P- somebody would run like hell to the control panel in the venue office and cancel the alarm. The Fire Dept had been notified that our 'event' may be tripping some alarms(Always do this if you host a LEM & give them your cell # too)

What could not be foreseen was a 'friendly' neighbor out for an evening stroll who noticed the strobes going off in some of the classrooms on the top floor- they were only flashing for the time it took for the alarm to be cancelled in the office...BUT...she called in the alarm so the FD had to come- three guys with at LEAST 100# of gear showed up. They looked like firefighting commandos.

Some forms needed to be signed and we smoozed with these very nice firemen and convinced them to step inside the auditorium to enjoy a little of the lasershow going on ATM. They seemed to like it but, maybe due to all that gear they were lugging around or the need to get back to the FD, they only watched for about 10 min.

When discussing the art of LEM hosting with Adam(buffo) I learned a little trick- Call the alarm company(if they use one) and the FD in advance and tell them that there will be some 'testing' of the fire/burgler alarm system over the weekend. Another tip I heard was to put plastic bags over the smoke alarms, which I do whenever having a laser party at my home.
The nicer hotels have free cheapy hair covers in the bathroom that work swell for this-just REMEMBER to remove them later!!!

MO about the attendance- if it got too large I dont think it would be as good. It is , after all, a private affair- a lot of expensive gear is everywhere- a mutual trust of everybody allows this but if there were twice as many including some that no one knew ..... well unfortunitly crap happens. The BS&T room is operated on the honor system- see something on a table that you want- you just seek the owner out and do a deal- we dont need to sit our our stuff this way and thereby miss some of the shows. We feel OK leaving our items on the tables when we go to the hotels for the night. The venue provides a night watchman that stays there all night. Next year I will have to re-think all this.
Sadly this year one guy, on the last day, found that SOMEBODY helped themselves to some optics he had laid out FS and left a few dollars in thier place--NOT COOL.--This kind of thing has never happened in the four previous years at SELEM. Naturally I have no doubt some were thinking that this was done by someone who was new to SELEM.

If you are the one who did that it would be a very nice thing to contact me via PM and I will put you in contact with he guy who you owe some $$ to.

I am not accusing any LPF members of doing this, but it happened and the optics did not grow legs and walk away. Maybe next year we will need to set up a vidcam to keep an eye on our items for sale....and that is a shame.

hak

^^^Sounds like a whole lot of fun was had. Last time I was taping shut fire alarms was in college, and it wasn't for anything laser related:eek:

Definitely a good point about having LEMs small enough for trust to be there, it would be very annoying to have to stay around your equipment all the time, and let's face it, laser equipment isn't cheap:undecided:

Well I can safely say if it happened on sunday, Aryntha and I both have an an alibi. We left at like 6am sunday morning heading home. We were probably between knoxville and nashville before SELEM even opened.

It still sucks it happened though.

Yeah, it was an expression of how much I wanted to go though, not a realistic plan. So "a lung" expressed it better.

I did miss it, but i knew you were just messing about.

But actually, re-reading your comment... you wouldn't happen to want to buy a liver, kidney and\or lung, would you? :p

I did miss it, but i knew you were just messing about.

But actually, re-reading your comment... you wouldn't happen to want to buy a liver, kidney and\or lung, would you? :p

Well, let's see, I used to smoke heavily in college, I drink heavily, and I'm overweight...

You want to toss in a heart while we're at it:na:

Hmmm.... depends partly on whether the heart will be extracted before or after my attendance at the LEM :p

Hmmm.... depends partly on whether the heart will be extracted before or after my attendance at the LEM :p

Let the negotiations begin... just sign on the dotted line with one drop of your blood, no need to read the contract, it's all good, trust me:evil:

Last edited:
I thought you said "negotiations"! It doesn't sound sound very negotiable if you've already written the contract!

I thought you said "negotiations"! It doesn't sound sound very negotiable if you've already written the contract!

Well of course I wrote out the contract, just to save your the hassle :angel:

I left a whole dotted line empty for you to fill in with your signature... erm drop of blood... though:evil::eg: