Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some Due Justice

GSS

Edit as of now Steve walls has removed all comments on his 520 phaser build and all of his other builds seem to be deleted for now, at least on U tube.

I will start of by saying if it wasn't for Jayrob I just might not of been or even seen this LPF forum.
Now of course Jayrob has many great builds of all kinds but to me and i'm guessing most here "think Jayrob phasers" in their minds when they see his name.
I started this laser hobby when I bought my first phaser and one thing led to another to Jayrob and to this forum.
No one has put more effort in the phaser builds than Jayrob and i'm not just saying popping in a diode and running with it. He put time in to fabricating an easy focus knob slash heatsink, custom heatsinks of material of your choice, safety key, armed indicator etc. etc. etc. What ever you want you got it, just ask him plain and simple.
I lurk the hobby and prop forums and come across some different builds, some are for show, some with lasers, some for sale and some for personal wants. Yes though alot of them are for sale and it seems lately people are jumping on this band wagon and are looking for cheap easy money. This one takes the cake and made me go over the edge.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEMOHa-z-WA

This man Steve Wall is asking in the $800 range and claims this one is a 2W+ 520nm as he has others at a so called 2.997W of 445nm. Now I asked him in a polite way how 2W of green is possible in 520nm and if I could see his special inside mods and he replyed special driver and battery and in NO way I could see the insides and to do one myself! You can see the posted replys under the video and Peter Economakis is me.

Who would give this man $800 and Jayrob where are you:beer::mad:
Keep in mind I am hungry as i'm writing this and didn't have a snickers
Please all that care do post to his claim or for questions. All I did was hit the subsribe icon and was able to post

Last edited:

Vision

Is the mod a magnifiying lens and why is he out of breath from talking 2 seconds?

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Pman

I would have commented on it myself but I needed to sign in or something.
I do own a Jayrob phaser that is the same as the one in the video and came with all the upgrades he offered. My best friend on here at the time was Lazerbeak and for anyone who has been here awhile you can understand why. When I almost died in the hospital he actually bought me one of these and I was in enough shock that I could have died from the kindness. We always sent things to each other but never anywhere near that level. I do remember it took Jayrob 2 weeks to build it as there is quite a lot of cutom work that has to be done.
If you look back to where he originally offered them I believe that was in 2010 so we are talking quite some time ago. If you look at his workmanship you will understand why it costs a bit more than the usual stuff being offered and it's justified. Really a shame he isn't mentioned all the time for all his custom work and all the great things he offers. If you really want a quality unit do yourself a favor and take some time really going over what he has and buy something you will never regret.
Now I know nothing about this other guy who is from what I see offering an inferior product and is also making a claim he has a 2W 520nm in it. Has anyone else ever heard of this guy? GSS found the vid and commented about it as you will see and asked me to take a look at which point I contacted Jayrob to take a look and he can comment on his own.
It seems to me though that he is kind of claiming he is the pioneer behind some mods to the unit he is showing and offering for sale. I really would like to know if he ran into Jayrob build and is trying to copy it and pass it off as his idea or not. It's not like Jayrob has any special rights to it but throw on top the claim of 2W 520nm and I'm troubled.
+REP TO GSS when I can.

Hi GSS,
awesome post my man, it brings up a lot of un answered ?? 2W's with nothing to clarify about the build really, yes we do need some pics here. Jay rob is the pioneer in the mechanical aspect of it all.When we can see a detailed post of the build i'll be satisfied but until then no Sale at $800.00 Thats a whole lot of Diodes and drivers and throw in some lenses to.. Oh by the way i'll be opening mine up tonight buddy.. +Rep

Rich:)

jayrob

+rep to you guys... :beer: (to Pman when it lets me)

About the phaser. The first guy to do it was Kip Kay and put it on youtube but he doesn't know lasers. (or didn't at the time)

He only had a cheap diode in there with no driver, no heatsink, etc...

I did it right, but there's no 'rights' to the design or anything like that...

About the 2W green. He's on glue...

You can probably get 1.5 Watts at about 3.5 Amps with the best from DTR but you need IMR cells which are 700mAh's max capacity for the 14500 size needed to fit the phaser. (I doubt normal Li-Ion 14500's would put out 3.5 Amps)

Do the math and your run time will be 10 minutes max. And easy to over discharge the cells because IMR are no protection.

I guess you might get close to 2W maybe if you had a high efficiency diode but not a good host for that diode in view of the heatsinking room and the battery capacity...

He doesn't even have a quality EzFocus tip and he's asking $800??...

Last edited:
Hi Jay,
Yes more than Glue i say 2W's to claim is a joke i wonder how many hits this guy had on this, Poor consumers not good. Gss said it and i'll say it to You The Man !!!! Quality first.

GSS

You know I do scroll the hobby forums and see many of mods but the aragance of this man got to me and I did first message Pman on this and he greatly earged me to post this as it hit him hard at first also.:):)

Edit.....Wow, the power of this forum!! I kinda feel bad but maby now the forum wont let him rip off people now.

Last edited:
Hi GSS,
You did the right thing bringing this to light, to many phonies trying to make a quick buck on an inferior product. And the uneducated consumer pays the price instead of researching the data.. I would like him to show up on this forum to justify his claims and do a full post with info and pics.. What are the odds to that and what if??

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That's it exactly Lifetime, we all can see through his B.S., but the average person watching his video is going buy into all his claims.
I wonder how many of these he has sold?

We'll stick with jayrobs quality work!

Thanks for sharing, GSS!

Hi Bowtie,
For sure i'll stick with Jay to And he's not some fly by night making false claims about his products. Jay's stuff is time proven many times over He can do some awesome stuff.

Pman

What have I done:eek: I've created a monster lol. JK GSS

Last edited:
Hi Pman,
I guess you stirred the pot a little to much LOL !!! Nice fire you started..

Nice job, GSS. I rarely if ever go to YouTube as it seems to be the place where people who want their 15 minutes of fame go and say any kind of crap without any clear evidence to their claims. That being said, I'm glad you shined a light on this fraud. I'll rep you again as soon as it will let me.

He reminds me of comic book guy from the simpsons.

It has a special driver made from his shattered dreams and delusional hopes that supercharges the LAY-SIR making is magically powerful, the price is 800 dollars please.....or maybe you would rather play with a broken water gun and make buzzing sounds with your mouth....no? Well Then, 800 dollars please.

Thanks for posting this GSS, great find buddy.
Really upsets me the tone of his reply to you and how he's misleading people like this.
I've added my dislike.

+rep when I can to you my friend.

:beer: