Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SOLDERING FAILURE

Being the soldering failure I am, I have gotten no where with my PHR-803T diode in its heatsink. I can't remove the damn pcb!!!
I feel like physically removing it, or paying someone to do it for me and solder wire and put it into an aixiz, which I will provide.
Of course, I will cover shipping both ways, and will compensate you for your time. :p
I can *maybe* solder two wires together, but removing the pcb is just too hard right now. *I even have a hard time tinning*

tempting but yikes  :-?

just joking if you cant find anyone ;;; by the way where you located

i could do it ive done a couple as long as it hasn't been globbed on I've never tried it that way ;D

Nothing's been globbed on, I removed that already. What's left are three pins on that DAMN PCB THAT WONT COME OFF!

DAMN!!! My driver's in the mailbox, waiting for me to get things done. I think I'll get rid of it with my dad's ultra-sharp kitchen knife ;D
Hope I don't cut myself like my emo friend does :p

i got the pcb off mine with some needle nose pliers and a soldering iron. Helping hands help out alot to hold the thing in place. put the soldering iron the middle of the pins on the pcb and grab a side of the pcb and pull up making the helping hands hold down the diode, i got mine off in like 10-15 minutes. the diodes are pretty durable and i kind of expected mine to be toast from doing this but it turned out great.

also, daguin gave me a hint to get the heat sink off, get two pliers on each side of the heat sink and twist till the diode pops out. i haven't tried it but it seems logical and in my mind it would work out great. much easier than cutting away at it for 2 hours.

good luck

Hey dude, what is your soldering iron? Usually what you do is have your helping hands hold the diode via the heatsink (don't remove it yet). Melt a glob of solder onto the three pins on the back so they're all connected. Then put some solder on your soldering iron and melt up that glob while simultaneously pulling on the pcb with some pliers. Let the helping hands and gravity keep the diode down while you pull up.

Has anyone actually tried a de-soldering iron ? It took me a grand total of MAYBE 3 seconds to take them off - an el-cheapo Rat Shack red bulb hollow pointed de-soldering iron. Comes with a razor sharp "stand" to lean it on, so you can forget it is there, and burn the piss outta your arm, too ! WOOT !

Bionic-Badger said:
Hey dude, what is your soldering iron?  Usually what you do is have your helping hands hold the diode via the heatsink (don't remove it yet).  Melt a glob of solder onto the three pins on the back so they're all connected.  Then put some solder on your soldering iron and melt up that glob while simultaneously pulling on the pcb with some pliers.  Let the helping hands and gravity keep the diode down while you pull up.

exactly what i do with the help of gravity pulling down on the diode. works great

SenKat_Stonetek said:
Has anyone actually tried a de-soldering iron ? It took me a grand total of MAYBE 3 seconds to take them off - an el-cheapo Rat Shack red bulb hollow pointed de-soldering iron. Comes with a razor sharp "stand" to lean it on, so you can forget it is there, and burn the piss outta your arm, too ! WOOT !

Hey, I never thought of doing that. :D
I think I will try that on my next blu-ray. :)

--hydro15

If you're really struggling I can do it for ya. It only takes me a few seconds. I'm in WA if you're interested. I could put it in the module and get the wires soldered on all pretty-like too ;D

I don't think I'm struggling, I just am inpatient and like to get things done fast.

i did it .. took me 30 mins.. but.. i did it.. using my knee to hold the soldering iron, one hand with tweezers, and one hand holding the diode, applied heat to some solder i globbed on it and while it was liquefied i used the tweezers to clasp the pcb and remove it.. i probabl fried it and zapped it with static unfortunately

Just a tip for EVERYONE who is going to do this on a regular basis... get a pair of hemostats!!! You will use them EVERY TIME you build something. All I do is add solder so its one big ball connecting all pins, clamp hemostats onto diode/heatsink assy, hold soldering iron in right hand (while holding down hemostats with the same hand), hold a small screwdriver in left hand. Then I heat the ball and lift with the iron and screwdriver. Total time of iron on the pins is maybe 5 seconds. Start to finish takes me about 30 seconds.