Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SOLD: LaserBee I w/ Ellipsis $100

Trevor

Up for sale is the 1W LaserBee I that I used to develop Ellipsis, and a 3.2W LaserBee II Deluxe version.

The 1W LaserBee has exactly the same measurement characteristics as a stock LaserBee, except with a few added benefits.

• Ellipsis can see increments smaller than 1mW. So, if you use the OpenLPM protocol and datalog to Peregrine, measurements taken at low powers will be both smoother and will show changes in laser power better. Where the stock firmware would jitter between 11mW and 12mW as a laser holds at ~11.5mW, Ellipsis can render it as a smoothed line, between 11mW and 12mW where it should be. The performance increas is derived from Ellipsis using the hardware at its fullest potential.
  • In addition to being able to read at higher resolution, Ellipsis can read power changes as fractional power values - so it can read laser that is having minute shifts in power and easily detect it and show it on a graph.
  • Ellipsis also has a faster refresh rate. So not only does it read fractional values, it reads them faster than the original firmware. Graphs have a higher granularity in both dimensions!
  • It is possible to select different datastream protocols. The original protocol is there, but it does not output any fractional values. If you choose to use the simple or OpenLPM protocols, you can graph to Peregrine or another graphing program to see the benefits of the higher resolution.

Here's a video of one of the earlier builds:

Since then, I've worked out the remaining kinks and added in the correct TEC nonlinearity adjustment. It is also calibrated exactly the same as it was sold.

And a graph comparison, metering a ~90mW diode laser. I moved the beam on and off the sensor to show response time.

tQkiuDl.png

qX19OGh.png

It should also be noted that the response time remains exactly the same as it was in the original firmware:

YJ4YqVh.png

8F9mumD.png

Lastly, Ellipsis is able to accurately read a laser's behavior in steps of 0.1mW, as opposed to the stock firmware's 1mW:

Ellipsis / Original Firmware

9QKiZAY.png

The example above shows the warmup, peak, and slight power drop of a 405nm diode laser. While the original LaserBee firmware doesn't have quite the resolution to display the exact behavior of the laser, Ellipsis clearly displays what is happening.

With the improvements afforded by Ellipsis, this LaserBee I is, in my opinion, one of the best tools available to read lasers below 1W.

The sensor has a burn mark on it, but it does not affect the readings. It reads within 2% of a NIST-traceable LPM.

Jerry has falsely claimed that I have damaged this power meter - please see this post disproving his claim: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-laserbee-i-w-ellipsis-150-a-83506-2.html#post1207121

Because I've developed on it, you should not expect any service from Jerry regarding this meter.

Far more precise below 1W than the cheaper and much slower Laserbee 2.5W USB's.

Price: $125 + shipping.

- OR -

Price: $100 + shipping + review. :)

More info and product images: Products

Trevor

Last edited:

tonyt

Re: FS: LaserBee I w/ Ellipsis // LaserBee II Deluxe

Geese if i hadn't just bought my 3.7 i would have been all over this! $200! That's an awesome price!!! Good luck mate!

DJNY

Awesome prices Trev!

Great opportunity to get some people lucky :)

Last edited:

I love how once i bought a ophir head there has been like 10-15 TEC LB's for sale at crazy good prices but when i wanted a LB, there were none for sale :thinking: go figure, my luck.

GL Trevor :beer: Will be interesting to see how Jerry will honor the 3.2W Deluxe since you were the one who owned it.

Trevor

Thanks guys!

I love how once i bought a ophir head there has been like 10-15 TEC LB's for sale at crazy good prices but when i wanted a LB, there were none for sale :thinking: go figure, my luck.

GL Trevor :beer: Will be interesting to see how Jerry will honor the 3.2W Deluxe since you were the one who owned it.

I dunno why there have been so many on the market either. Ah well, good for buyers I guess! :D

I dunno what he'll do either. My gut says he'll be cool with it, but it's pretty tough to predict what he's going to do next. We'll see! :eek:

Trevor

Pm sent for 3.2 deluxe

Up for sale is the 1W LaserBee I that I used to develop Ellipsis, and a 3.2W LaserBee II Deluxe version.

The 1W LaserBee has exactly the same measurement characteristics as a stock LaserBee, except with a few added benefits.

• Ellipsis can see increments smaller than 1mW. So, if you use the OpenLPM protocol and datalog to Peregrine, measurements taken at low powers will be both smoother and will show changes in laser power better. Where the stock firmware would jitter between 11mW and 12mW as a laser holds at ~11.5mW, Ellipsis can render it as a smoothed line, between 11mW and 12mW where it should be. The performance increas is derived from Ellipsis using the hardware at its fullest potential.
  • In addition to being able to read at higher resolution, Ellipsis can read power changes as fractional power values - so it can read laser that is having minute shifts in power and easily detect it and show it on a graph.
  • Ellipsis also has a faster refresh rate. So not only does it read fractional values, it reads them faster than the original firmware. Graphs have a higher granularity in both dimensions!
  • It is possible to select different datastream protocols. The original protocol is there, but it does not output any fractional values. If you choose to use the simple or OpenLPM protocols, you can graph to Peregrine or another graphing program to see the benefits of the higher resolution.
Since then, I've worked out the remaining kinks and added in the correct TEC nonlinearity adjustment. It is also calibrated exactly the same as it was sold.

And a graph comparison, metering a ~90mW diode laser. I moved the beam on and off the sensor to show response time.

tQkiuDl.png

qX19OGh.png

With the improvements afforded by Ellipsis, this LaserBee I is, in my opinion, one of the best tools available to read lasers below 1W.

The sensor has a burn mark on it, but it does not affect the readings, as shown in the comparison.

Because I've developed on it, you should not expect any service from Jerry regarding this meter.

Price: $175 + shipping. Far more precise below 1W than the cheaper and much slower Laserbee 2.5W USB's.

Also up for sale is a Deluxe 3.2W LaserBee. It is unmodified and has not ever had a build of Ellipsis run on it - so Jerry will, with any luck, honor the "customer service just like you bought it from me" post he makes in threads where LaserBees are sold.

Price: $200 + shipping. More precise and much faster than the LaserBee 2.5W USB models that are sold for about the same price. Plus, this has a screen and doesn't require a USB connection!

Trevor
I wasn't going to post on your Sales thread but since you assume we
will service your LPMs as if they were virgin LaserBee products I needed
to make our position clear.

Hmmmm where to start...........:thinking:

Let's start with your Graphs...

1) If you remove the 2 second "glitch" of the Original LaserBee I
firmware Graph and stitch that curve together you will see a
response time of ~7 seconds for a 100% reading.

2) If you check the non "gliched" response time of your "Ellipsis"
Firmware you will see a 100% response time of ~12 seconds for
the same Laser.
I see absolutely no improvements there. Rather I see a much
longer 100% response time.:thinking:

3) I see that you state that the fractional reading of the "Ellipsis"
Graph is done in the "Ellipsis" Firmware.

4) I also see that the original LaserBee I Firmware graph also
shows a fractional output value. The LaserBee I only outputs
INTEGER values.
The only way you can get a fractional output from an Integer
value is to manipulate the True Integer Data.

To get a decimal value from Integer values you can take 10 True
Integer Values and average them. Then you would have Average
but not True Data values.

That being said.....

It is to be noted that the LaserBee I being sold here is a 4 year
old 2nd Generation LaserBee (T7) product that was sold back in
We continually upgrade our Firmware and Calibration equipment
to provide the most accurate hobbyists LPMs we can.

The LaserBee I being offered here has a Damaged Thermopile
sensor and has not been re-calibrated in the past 4 years.

With the LPF Members discount you can get a latest generation
with the latest Firmware recently Calibrated LaserBee I on eBay
for ~$190 with shipping included. Your $175 + shipping seems
a little steep for a 4 year old LPM last calibrated 4 years ago.

The LaserBee II being offered here is also a LaserBee product
that no doubt has also been tampered with in some way. There
was no other reason for Trevor to buy it.

I know for a fact that this LaserBee I was subjected to Voltage
inputs other than the very low Thermopile Voltage it was designed
for. What guarantee is there that the LaserBee II was not also
subjected to the same abuse.

Unfortunately.... contrary to the assumptions of the seller and
for the reasons outlined J.BAUER Electronics can not and will not
provide any type of service for these 2 black listed LPMs...:cryyy:

Good luck with your Sale...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:

Trevor

The response time is exactly the same, Jerry.

(Click for larger version.)

As you can see, when the reading jitters when it is between power values,
Ellipsis can resolve that out to an actual value instead of noise, as the original firmware does.

Ellipsis provides only benefits - there are no drawbacks.

I verified this LaserBee I against a NIST-traceable LPM and found it was within 2% accuracy.

Any more questions? :)

EDIT: LaserBee II sold pending payment. LaserBee I is $150+shipping.

Trevor

Last edited:

ped

Re: FS: LaserBee I w/ Ellipsis $150

Trevor.

Edited your overly large image, but (hopefully) kept the imprtant parts same size.

Regards

Trevor

Trevor.

Edited your overly large image, but (hopefully) kept the imprtant parts same size.

Regards

Zoops, my bad! I'll upload a smaller PNG version. Thanks!

Trevor

I find it odd jerry will not honor an agreement only because trevor owned the lpm. If I were to buy this lmp from ANY other member it would be cool. So I pm'd trevor asking him if it had been tampered with. I will take him at his word. I detest being in the middle here. Both jerry and trevor have been Very good to me in the past, and I hope the future.

Reactions: ARG

ARG

I find it odd jerry will not honor an agreement only because trevor owned the lpm. If I were to buy this lmp from ANY other member it would be cool. So I pm'd trevor asking him if it had been tampered with. I will take him at his word. I detest being in the middle here. Both jerry and trevor have been Very good to me in the past, and I hope the future.

Agreed. Though I'm sure Trevor is more than capable of fixing firmware/software issues if they ever arise. ;)

The response time is exactly the same, Jerry.

Any more questions? :)

Trevor

I have no idea what you are trying to show in that Graph..:thinking:

I'm referring to the 2 Graphs that you posted in Post #1...

If you remove the "power glitch" by moving point "B" to
the left to point "A" it would move the point "Y" to point
"X" and that clearly shows a response time of the Original
LaserBee Firmware of ~8 seconds as compared to your
"ellipise" Graph of ~12 seconds. That's about a 50% longer
response time that could only be attributed to your "ellipses"
firmware since you state that the only thing different between
the graphs is the Firmware ...:thinking:

The response time is clearly not the same in the 1st Post Graphs.

attachment.php

Jerry

Attachments

• Trev1.JPG
    Trev1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:

Trevor

That graph I posted is of Ellipsis and of the stock firmware. It's two tests overlaid, one is a blue line (Ellipsis), the other is a red line (stock firmware). I LPM'ed the same laser, sequentially, at the same distance, using the same start parameters in Peregrine.

The response time is exactly the same.

EDIT: That second graph was made by overlaying 2... let me get the original files. Just a minute.

Trevor

Last edited:

DJNY

That graph I posted is of Ellipsis and of the stock firmware. It's two tests overlaid, one is a blue line (Ellipsis), the other is a red line (stock firmware). I LPM'ed the same laser, sequentially, at the same distance, using the same start parameters in Peregrine.

Trevor

I don´t get it :thinking:

j/k

OK thanks for the explanation of the new chart in
Post #8.

That does not address the Graph data you posted in
Post #1 that I addressed in Post #7 and Post #13...:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited: