Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SOLD Kryton Groove 9mm 445nm diode

Hey guys, so today I have for sale a kryton groove 445nm laser with 9mm diode. Its a very sleek and beautiful host. I dont have a lpm but it should do over 1.5W fine. It feels very solid in your hands, and heat sinking is great as the whole host is the heatsink. Should allow for some nice duty cycles.

Laser will be sent assembled, and with 2 16340 batteries. However these batteries are not charged (the laser will switch on but only emit a very dim LED type light with the batteries) so you will have to charge them. This should be fine for customs as they will see it as a LED due to the not-charged batteries.

No lens is included as I have no lenses suitable :(

Laser will be sent in a bubblewrapped envelope so no damage can occur during shipping :)

Price $110 + $10 shipping to US, $5 for UK

pics: (i apologize for the quality)

qFGp2XC.jpg

MOLiBCI.jpg

WOIpQAg.jpg

Peace

Last edited:

Re: FS Kryton Groove 9mm DIY kit

So, it's got no lens, no batteries, and the buyer has to desolder the diode so that it can be pressed, as well, and then have to re-solder the driver back to the diode. And, there's no way to keep the driver in the pill included either? Are there any pics of the diode and driver working together? Is there any "proof of life" documentation included (video, pics, lpm)?

The price is right, if it included the 9mm lens, considering it's just a bag of parts. But, I'd want proof the diode is working.

Last edited:

There is no included pill buyer must connect to the ring inside the kryton. I will include some arctic thermal glue if it is required. No lpm, but I shall post pics of the diode working with the driver in a little while.

afaik, you cant use 17mm drivers in the groove. moh posted that you need to use a square one with a spring and i hope you are going to heat sink the diode when you show it working

I have made the kit in a makeshift way and it works, you need to glue part of it to the little silver ring inside the battery compartment, so that the outer copper ring on the driver contacts it and recieves the negative current. You will have to glue it in place, which is why I am providing the thermal glue, or you could get a large spring which would hold it down while also contacting with the diode part, so it compresses and keeps the driver in place.

Like mentioned in the OP, it has a spring soldered.

Pics to come

You should probably desolder the diode and driver, and sell this all separately as this kit doesn't really work well together, and is missing some important parts.

I'm assuming you don't have a diode press otherwise I would say sell the diode in the kryton as a just add driver kit. If you dont have a diode press, how did you heatsink this to test it as you said you did.

And like the others have said, since no one knows what happened to that diode, you will need to provide proof of functionality, and if you turn that thing on without it being heat-sinked, I doubt anyone here will buy it.

Last edited:

A spring would be a better choice to hold the driver against the ridge in the pill hole. Or, you could solder wire from the bottom V- ring, over the sides of the driver and they provide tension against the host, as well as the ground contact. I do not like the idea of permanently attaching a driver in the host. It would have to be destroyed to remove it.

Has your Kryton had the anodizing removed per Mohrenberg's instructions, or does the buyer have to do that as well?

If you can't get what you want out of this deal, I'll give you what you paid for the Kryton plus shipping.

I used my dremel to remove anodizing on important places such as threads and tailcap, and tested it worked using some rundown batteries (to prevent diode getting hot). Soldering a wire from the ring in the host to the driver would probably be the best option. Dont really know what important parts its missing apart from lens and battery, I can send some batteries separately (2x 16340) in a different package if need be. I heatsinked it in a 9mm copper module and powered it on for like a second each time I took a pic, only got very slightly warm at the end of the "test". I shall lower the price to $100 with driver included, I am now selling this at a loss.

Here are pics:

25p3a4j.jpg

igi96w.jpg

2crn8co.jpg

Last edited:

WAIT!? you pressed the diode into the module but you couldnt press it into the groove for testing?

Guys I'm not liking all this negativity.

Sorry scumbagtheist I am not looking to sell the host alone.

I pressed it using a vice plier type thing, I can press it into the copper module because the thickness of the copper module isnt large compared to that of the kryton, and I dont want to damage the kryton surface. The copper module is already knocked up quite a bit, so not bothered about that.

okay but what i dont think you realized when you pressed it into the module is now the buyer will need a diode extractor to get it out of the module safely. if its pressed in the module, you cant use it in the groove.

we arent giving negativity, but using buyer awareness to know exactly what we are dealing with before jumping in head first

I'm not that dumb I have taken it out of the module safely, so now it is ready to be used in the kryton. For $100 I think its a great price.

I think you will find soldering to a large piece of aluminum like the kryton host difficult if not near impossible. The large spring to hold down the driver is your best bet for a round driver in this build.

TBH the price is ok. For a diode with lens its around $90 and the groove is $25 the driver another $8 so without the lens $100 for parts would seem reasonable. Dont forget we dont get free shipping to Europe...So he will be selling at a loss.

Guys hes also been around a while and sold a few items AFAIK with no issues, so ease up a little.

Just one question; why are you selling it? Good luck anyway :beer:

Last edited: