Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[SOLD] CNI >5-7mW GLP-589nm Yellow-Orange Laser [SOLD]

cmak

Update: Laser is SOLD.
Thanks to all for considering! :yh:

Hate to be selling it right now but I will be buying a more powerful one soon, and in my current situation I need to sell this before getting my hands on another one. Looks like I'll be 589-less for a while :cryyy:

Anyways, I'm selling my CNI >5-7mW GLP-589nm Yellow-Orange laser. It's a really beautiful, warm "fire-like" color (my personal favorite, even over 473nm), and the beam never ceases to amaze me, especially after lighting some incense. I haven't personally metered it, but Glenn's meaurements on it (I got it from the GB) were "5-7 mw", and that's with "old rechargeable batteries that may not be ideal". Seeing as I'm using new batteries, and after a brief break-in period with the laser, I would have to guess that it's putting out over 10mW. That, coupled with the fact that 589nm is more visible to the human eye than 593.5nm (as most of you know), the beam is quite visible in a variety of lighting situations, even slightly visible in a well-lit, clear-aired room. The reason I'm listing it as >5-7mW is just because it's the most official measurement I have, and in any case, it's better to have it come "over-spec" than under, right? :yh: With a bit of incense or fog (I light incense every night), I can't describe how stunning this beam is. The first time I saw it with incense, I didn't realize I lit any (and it was a while before using the laser, so the smoke had time to disperse and thin out considerably), I thought it had a major "break-in" and jumped to >50mW, nearly exceeding my 95mW Greenie :D

I have some great photos and videos that do a great job of demonstrating the beam, and they were taken with default settings, on an iPhone camera. As usual, it's not quite the same as seeing it in person, but I still think they're worth putting up. I will post up beamshots/dotshots as well as pictures of the laser in it's current condition in a few days, if this doesn't sell by then. The pictures below belong to RA_pierce and I borrowed them from his review thread of the same model (albeit slightly different power). My apologies for not including my own right now, but no matter when the laser sells, rest assured I will still be posting up the pictures/videos :san:

I would describe the laser body as being in at least "good condition". I've had it for 2.5 months and it has some light scratches on the front-cap and end-cap, where they're not too noticeable.

I am selling the laser with CNI's usual small white GLP box, the 3 rechargeable CR2's I bought for this laser and the compatible 2-battery smart-charger (which I bought for this laser as well). They are the right batteries you will need for this laser: they are 3.0v, unlike a lot that are 3.7v, and would fry the laser. My asking price is $270 shipped to anywhere in the U.S., and I will have it sent out within a day of the payment. I'm located just north of Los Angeles, California, and if you happen to live anywhere near Ventura County then I'd be more than happy to show it to you in person.

A big thanks to Glenn for all his group buy efforts, and cheers to you all!

-Chris

DSC09415.jpg

DSC09427.jpg

Image Credit: RA_pierce (@Pierce If you're reading this, I hope you don't mind me using these until I put my own up... btw I really enjoyed your pics and review, they were really great)

Last edited:

DJNY

Re: FS: CNI >5-7mW GLP-589nm Yellow-Orange Laser

It's a really beautiful, warm "fire-like" color (my personal favorite, even over 473nm)..

Did you ever see 473nm in personal? :rolleyes:

But I agree with you, this yellow-gold DPSS color is one of the most beautiful laser colors in the world and MUCH more visible than I thought before I got mine.

rhd

I'm semi seriously interested in this (my ability to purchase it would depend on how soon a few of my own sales go through), can I ask a few questions?

- How visible is the beam in various conditions? Night / Day / Fog ? (my tool suggests it would be somewhat on par with a 532 of similar power) Beam: (589nm 10mw) vs. (532nm 5.74mw)

- Is shipping to Canada an option?

Qwaps

I'm also quite interested in this laser (sorry, rhd), and would've actually just sent you a PM if it weren't for the fact that it's not <5 mW, which would make it quite a catch for using it as a laser pointer (in presentations and such, not that cheap "5 mW" are any safer). Still, I am quite interested in it for obvious reasons, and would love to know its divergence and beam diameter.

Last edited:

cmak

I'm semi seriously interested in this (my ability to purchase it would depend on how soon a few of my own sales go through), can I ask a few questions?

- How visible is the beam in various conditions? Night / Day / Fog ? (my tool suggests it would be somewhat on par with a 532 of similar power) Beam: (589nm 10mw) vs. (532nm 5.74mw)

- Is shipping to Canada an option?
My apologies to both of you for the slightly delayed response; it's been a busy day for me. The beam is more or less visible depending on the lighting and air conditions, but what's in the air makes the biggest difference IMO. With fairly fresh batteries, and when viewed at a sharp angle against a dark surface, I can see the beam in a moderately lit room. At night (depending on the level of light pollution and moonlight, of course), I can see the beam shoot up in the sky and even better when shot at a surface dark than the night sky. The best thing is to just light a stick of incense (or anything, for that matter) and use it in a remotely dark room... you'll be amazed. By my calculations, the 589nm dot should be about 80% (4/5) as visible as 532nm. The ratio is slightly different with beam visibility because 532nm is affected slightly more by Rayleigh scattering.

If you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. Also, shipping to Canada shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also quite interested in this laser (sorry, rhd), and would've actually just sent you a PM if it weren't for the fact that it's not <5 mW, which would make it quite a catch for using it as a laser pointer (in presentations and such, not that cheap "5 mW" are any safer). Still, I am quite interested in it for obvious reasons, and would love to know its divergence and beam diameter.
Sorry it took me a while to reply, I've been busy today. So far, you're second in line after Rhd, so he backs out or decides against it then I'll come to you next. The power of this laser should be fairly eye-safe for presentations, and the only real risk this laser poses is if you get it directly in someone's eye, or through a decently-transmissive mirror and then to someone's eye. Also, the divergence on this laser is significantly bigger than that of my ultra-thin 532, but this also helps make the No-Harm-Distance closer (as the beam spreads out, the power is less concentrated, and is brought to an eye-safe level quicker). The mode does do some minor shifting if left on for a really long time in warm temperatures, or sometimes for a short bit as it's warming up, although I haven't noticed much mode shifting happening at all lately. I got your PM, and as long as you can guide me through the shipping methods needed then it should be fine.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

-Chris

rhd

Hey Cmak,
You can pop Qwaps in line ahead of me if he has the money to go ahead with this right away. Having said that, I remain interested. It's just a matter of some of the lasers I have listed for sale selling first :)
Cheers

joeyss

If for some reason both people back out I would be very interested in this laser as I have been looking for a yellow laser for some time.

@cmak - Could you tell me what the current draw from the battery is?
Thanks.

I considered buying this from you. Not that I need another one, but I wanted to experiment with it and see if I could make any improvements. :D

To those interested: 589nm is an AWESOME wavelength. Even at 5mW it is quite bright and eye-catching.

rhd

I posted this just before the maintenance, looks like it dissappeared.

Anyway, if any of the above come through with the money to buy this before me, no hurt feelings whatsoever if you sell to them :)

Having said that, as soon as my paypal account gets a recharge over here, I would be happy to purchase this (if it's still available!)

joeyss

Cmak FYI I just sent you a pm.

Also could you Pm me your paypal?

Last edited:

cmak

Thanks everybody, I got all your PM's and am still getting around to replying to all of them. I am now labeling this Sold-Pending-Payment. Thanks to all of you that expressed interest in buying this, and I'll let you know if the people at the front of the line back out or if for any reason it becomes available again. Have a good one!

Oh and @RA_pierce, I'm not aware of the current draw is, sorry. Whatever it is, though, it makes for pretty crummy battery life :p

-Chris

cmak

UPDATE:

The person that the laser was SPP to seems to have disappeared, and after waiting a while I have decided to make the laser available again until I hear from him. Again, the price is $270 shipped (for standard US shipping methods, contact me for other options), I use PayPal and Google Checkout, preferably the latter.

Awaiting PM's :beer:

-Chris

Qwaps

Who has disappeared?

Edit: Well, apparently I did indeed disappear, and didn't send cmak a PM I could've swore I sent.

Last edited:

cmak

Update: Laser is SPP again

-Chris

Trevor

If this goes back up, s'mine. :p

-Trevor

Trevor, thanks for taking the temptation away from me. ;)

It is a truly amazing deal, but for me parting with $270 right now just wouldn't be smart. :yabbem: