Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

'Solarstorm' 1W 405nm "Pocket Rocket"

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
'Solarstorm' Pocket Rocket

A 405nm Build with a 'BDR-209 16X'

Z0nS9zp.jpg

Hi guys, here's a simple, yet pretty cool build in a neat little host from 'Solarstorm', not to be confused with The 'Solarforce' company that we see used in builds from time to time.
This host was originally going to be used in a different build which didn't work out, ...so having this little pocket sized host and heatsink hanging around, I thought I'd put it to good use. :D
To keep this project a fairly low cost affair, I decided on the BDR-209 16X 405nm diode/module from DTR, as it's one of the lowest cost diodes at his store.
It is also one of the prettiest wavelengths to view IMO, especially when enhanced with a little smoke or fog, not to mention that it burns like nobodies business! ;)

There's not a lot to say about this build as it's a pretty straightforward LED flashlight conversion with a homemade aluminum heatsink and a polished s.s. steel focus adapter.
It's pretty much a plug-n-play unit that turned out to be a pretty good looking finished product.

Here are a few of its vital statistics followed by some photos.

Components Used For This Build:

• Solarstorm S3 LED Flashlight.
  • BDR-209 16X Diode/Module with G-2 Lens set at approx. 500mA (DTR).
  • Custom Aluminum Heatsink.
  • Custom Polished S.S. Focus Adapter.
  • Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound.
  • AW 16340 Button Top 550mAh Li-Ion Battery.

Dimensions & Weight:

• Length = 104mm (4.1")
  • Diameter = 24mm (0.94")
  • Weight w/Battery = 98g (3.46oz)

Measured Power Output:

• G-2 Lens = 1.094W (Max.)

Picture Time!

Solarstorm flashlight, pre-transformation.
hJ25YOs.jpg

S.S. trimmed and recessed tail switch.
7cNSIDA.jpg

Exploded view.
Note - This host does not come apart at the tail end, only as shown below.
18K3XVt.jpg

View of the battery side of contact board mounted in head, and the battery tube/switch end with the Ever present battery orientation identification sticker. :yh:
KL5loqo.jpg

The Solarstorm in my hand for a general size reference.
Ph7Fv9m.jpg

These two photos are showing the focused beam on the left, and the unfocused beam on the right, as it exits the focus adapter.
eZfBnLj.jpg

zQuRTHf.jpg

P1UQSOo.jpg

Focused to a spot approx. 6" from laser.
7H1lg7a.jpg

Q5sixaf.jpg

A beam shot with the lights on and a very light fog, still pretty impressive!
vK0YRrN.jpg

LPM reading showing Max. output with a G-2 lens. :cool:
54cR9mE.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed the beams! :beer:

Last edited:

Nice little build and impressively powerful! Looks like you got a really good diode from Jordan! +rep
Like your DMM too, I just picked up a used Fluke on Ebay ;) :beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you sir!
I was real suprised at the output, I was maybe expecting ~850-900mW. I actually went back and checked what I had told Jordan to set it at; I asked for 500mA, but since I never checked it after receiving it, I've just got to assume it's a powerful diode!

Last edited:
I checked with him a few weeks ago and he told me he has fixed output nanos at 520 ma for the 16x 405s. ;) Forgot to mention it, but you did a great job of the beam shots too!:beer:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

I can't think of a better host for 405 burner, pocket or not, which is so cool in itself:beer:
Awesome presentation as always:)
Fingers crossed it holds up which at kinda low 1W I see why not....as to DTR also seemed to find the sweet spot setting:)

Last edited:
Hi BT,
Awesome EDC build great WL to heat sink and focus adapter nice touch. Cant wait till my 4 other little guys show up for some mini single mode action. Great photo's bare none buddy.
+ Rep to you pal

Rich:)

BobMc

That's is a awesome looking little pocket burner. Really like your focus adapter, it really looks great an the end. :gj: great beams shots also! :drool:

Last edited:
Always love reading your build threads, very detailed which gives a more immersive read! Excellent work on the build, and great beam shots too. I gotta get myself one of the 1W 405nm diodes sometime :whistle:

I like it. Nice compact powerhouse. I hope these mini hosts catch on. Maybe a dual boost driver 1w 520 running off an 18650 in the future. I have been on a single mode kick lately.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you very much guys, I appreciate your comments, and I'm glad you like it!

@ GSS, I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed, I hadn't planned on it having this much output. Most of my lasers get very little use after I build them, it's more fun to build.

@ Lifetime, thanks for the rep, I'll be watching for your 4 new single modes! Single modes are my favorite, you just can't beat the beam quality.

@ BobMc, I agree, the s.s. adapter kind of make the "look", also the beams did turn out pretty good; the photos captured the wavelength pretty much as I saw it.

@ EP, Yes, you'll have to get one of these 405's, they're finicky and may just as soon die as power up, but well worth it IMO.

@ dden, I agree, I've always liked these smaller hosts, the way I use my lasers, duty cycles are rarely a problem.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi Crazlaser, I took these two pics; let me know if this is what you wanted to see. :)

f1a96a9b-f836-4502-956b-5a385357769e_zpsytshbffp.jpg

4203ff51-bef9-4365-93fd-a71e78c1cde6_zpsiwbn3dvv.jpg