Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solarforce L2 445 at 1.4W improvised build PIC HEAVY

WARNING PIC HEAVY

I dont know if anyone remembers a thread i made a while a ago about this host I have. I sort of slapped toghether some flashlight stuff I had + a heatsink meant for another project = this beautiful laser. I think this one is fighting for the #1 spot in my laser chest ( currently held by qumefox's sipik host in copper).

Well lets start off by showing how it was put together.

The parts:

The thing I like about this particular host is that theres several bezels made for it, so based on what I like I can simply change out the front bezel.

p1010320h.jpg

Next is the driver, its a buck type driver that normally only puts out 1.1A but was modified and heatsinked and now puts out 1.4A.

img2011042500010.jpg

To mount the driver, I used a crappy Cree R2 drop in module and took out the old driver and reflector and soldered in the new one.

p1010325j.jpg

Heres the driver in the host, all snug and fit. I ran a continuity test just to make sure the negative connection was there. I didnt need to since these p60 drop-ins were made for these host anyways.

p1010327bv.jpg

Now here are the two different bezels...one is assualt style and the other one is flush stainless steel. The bezels or crowns as they are sometimes called holds the heatsink down to the head of the flashlight.

p1010329p.jpg

p1010326jh.jpg

and the completed laser with a custom focus adapter

p1010366sq.jpg

p1010367m.jpg

and of course the beamshots....

p1010359mp.jpg

p1010361x.jpg

p1010362y.jpg

p1010364u.jpg

p1010368w.jpg

p1010370s.jpg

overall i am very happy with this laser. It seemed a bit weird to use the pill from a p60 drop in but hey it worked...and works damn good too.

thanks for looking!!!

Helios

Nice build! Ive got an idea for the host you sent me so get ready for another build.

Gotta love solarforce builds! Nice focus adapter too! I have one myself :beer:. +1

yeppers...I ordered that driver 2 months ago...i got like 5 of them for a some other projects but since DX took forever I completed those projects already. So I tried to find a way to use them and viola!! I did change the sense resistor to a lower R150 to acheive 1.4A of power... also, a 10mF 10V output cap was added + a 4mmX4mmX2mm piece of copper was added to the 8 pin chip for heatsinking. minor and easy mods to make it have higher output and stable.

yeppers...I ordered that driver 2 months ago...i got like 5 of them for a some other projects but since DX took forever I completed those projects already. So I tried to find a way to use them and viola!! I did change the sense resistor to a lower R150 to acheive 1.4A of power... also, a 10mF 10V output cap was added + a 4mmX4mmX2mm piece of copper was added to the 8 pin chip for heatsinking. minor and easy mods to make it have higher output and stable.

Have you seen the mod done by lazerer to this driver? he didnt chanche the resistor, he added several 1ohm resistors to get 1.8A. But if it works your way its fine.
And, if i remenber correctly, he didnt use any kind of heatsink, as long as you dont run it for more than 5min! crazy :D

Check his reviews ;)

stacking resistors work fine, its just i like the clean professional look better...besides...smd soldering isnt too hard. having one 0.150ohm resistor looks much better than having 4 1 ohm resistors on top of the 0.2ohm thats on there. but lazerer's way is the most easy way if you arent comfortable replacing little smd components...

thank you for the kind words. I just love this host...the best part was the price, there is a kit on this forum for this host but just the host and heatsink alone was like 90 bucks...the whole laser for me cost less than $100. thats the best part in DIY projects...there's always a way to do something cheaper so long as you are willing to experiment.

Last edited:

Tonga

Very, very nice build with the beautiful Solarforce host:beer:!