Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

solar charging?

So I had 11 of those yard light tihngs that have an LED and a solar panel on top, which I harvested and took out the 1.2v NiCad battery and solar cell. I want to make a solar panel from all the cells and use it to charge as many of the batteries at once as possible (the batteries being in series). I have the solar cells in series right now, they are putting out around 19 volts at the moment but at a very low current. What would be my best configuration for charging the batteries? I was thinking making 3 groups of 3 cells each in series and wire the 3 groups in parallel, to divide the voltage by 3 but give a higher current. Any thoughts? I have no real reason for doing this but boredom :)

Well I don't think it would matter since you're dealing with the same number of cells and batteries, but I'd recommend putting all the panels in parallel so all the batteries will be charged to the same voltage (charging batteries in series with different charge levels can cause problems)