Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sodium anyone?

Well, just wondering if any of you laser freaks are psycho enough to add a little sodium to your arsenal. I got a few pounds, yes, pounds, of elemental sodium sitting in a tub of motor oil right now and I'm willing to sell some off. If you're interested, please let me know the number of grams or ounces and make me an offer. If you require shipping, I'll have to charge you for the cost of shipping as well as packing these up well in a non-reactive substance / strong container for transport, so its probably not worth it on very small quantities.

And in case you've heard about sodium, think its cool to play with, but don't really know the quantities involved - go do some research. If you're thinking about picking up a pound to throw in your neighbors pool, first off you probably don't know what this stuff sells for, and second you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. An ounce is more than enough to get started with, and a few ounces should be more than you'll ever need.

PS: If you're the FBI, my name is Greg and you can find me in San Antonio.

Benm

I dont think the mail service will be happy shipping sodium - even if it is under mineral oil in sealed sturdy containers.

If you're thinking about picking up a pound to throw in your neighbors pool...

Well, at some point we dumped a few-ounce piece in the pond in front of the chemical faculty building here... not the longest lasting fountain in the world, but quite interesting ;)

Daedal

pseudonomen137 said:

Nope, not even that will help you...

Shipping this stuff is not worth it. It's prohibited and moreover it's probably not quite the something to have people sending each other over here... :eek:

This stuff is very volatile and very sensitive. :-/

Be Safe;
DDL

Rhith

Sometimes I worry how people can get a hold on things like this....

Daedal

Hehe... If there is one thing I'd like to get a hold of it's fluorescein at VERY high concentrations. This is the stuff they use in CSI and whatever to bake blood glow ;D

It's also very easy to make very black light active items with that. :) BluRay is like black light, so adding that stuff to water would make the BluRay cast a very nice beam in water ;)

--DDL

Well, I have sodium too but the price of shipping gonna kill you. DHL (sorry but I know it works) will ship it 2-day express (that's the only way they'll let you) for like $65. They also jack up the price with the HazMat fee. On top of the DHL or any company will keep rejecting your package if your package doesn't meet HazMat specifications, like a special box, certain lables, and a ton of crap that doesn't really matter.

S

SenKat

pseudonomen137 said:
Well, just wondering if any of you laser freaks are psycho enough to add a little sodium to your arsenal. I got a few pounds, yes, pounds, of elemental sodium sitting in a tub of motor oil right now and I'm willing to sell some off. If you're interested, please let me know the number of grams or ounces and make me an offer. If you require shipping, I'll have to charge you for the cost of shipping as well as packing these up well in a non-reactive substance / strong container for transport, so its probably not worth it on very small quantities.

And in case you've heard about sodium, think its cool to play with, but don't really know the quantities involved - go do some research. If you're thinking about picking up a pound to throw in your neighbors pool, first off you probably don't know what this stuff sells for, and second you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. An ounce is more than enough to get started with, and a few ounces should be more than you'll ever need.

GAH ! YER KILLIN ME MAN !

PS: If you're the FBI, and you think THAT guy is good enough looking to be Greg, then you need to go back to sleuthing school ! Muahahahahahahaha !

Greg (THE REAL GREG DAMNIT !)

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!

Benm

BluRay is like black light, so adding that stuff to water would make the BluRay cast a very nice beam in water

If that's what you want, get yourself a couple of lightsticks, orange or green ones usually work very well. If you snap them and let them 'burn out', the dye in them can still be activated by blue or UV light. The whole mixture is water soluble, and glows easily under blue or UV LED light... so i'd image the result with a blu-ray laser to be quite impressive.

nes_ds

I have heard some real bad stories about that stuff :eek:

LOL, look I found a YouTube video that Pseudo made LOL, j/k:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5FzXkPCmrw(I played it muted, so they may be some swearing)

Look at the description, that just sounds like something Carter would say ;D

Aseras

Rhith said:
Sometimes I worry how people can get a hold on things like this....

any chemical reseller will sell it to you by the pound. it is on the dea watchlist though ( nazi method for meth )so you don't want to buy it with a lot of other bad things.

Aseras

Well I dropped about a solid pound of it into the middle of the ocean at night. We devised a "launcher" that we set with a tender boat and put the sodium in oil on it. Took off in the boat and the "launcher" slowly sank. Back onboard the big boat a few minutes later the fireworks commenced at a safe distance.

Sodium is fun but $$.

pool shock and brake fluid are better cheap alternatives for big booms ( not much for fireworks, but in the right device it does make an excellent rocket )
brake fluid and bromine tablets make fire snakes ( those little black things you set on fire and they make a stream of carbon ash like a snake )5-10 feet high. It's dangerous as hell but it sure is fun.

I'm not responsible if any of you are dumb enough to try any of this.