Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

So I've became facinated with lasers....

Tran

After I've seen a youtube video where you can "Mod" a useless, 'point at teacher when he's not looking' toy into something you can heat stuff up with I started to become fascinated with laser pointers...
then.. i read Dealextreme's disclaimer of them not shipping to the US i gave up hope... but luckily I googled and I found this website.. which seems to have shops/ways to get lasers IN the US..  ;)

Well i'll try to make it simple and short...

I don't want to buy a 5mW laser and attempt to mod it.. as no one confirms that it actually works..  I'm suspicious because if you use a soldering pen on a specific part.. what is there to disable?...

Anyways I looked in the Deals section below.. and I found this..

-Significantly brighter than red laser pointers
-Produce clearly visible green beam in the dark
- Functions: entertainment, illumination, indicating, collimating, sky pointing and laser detection
- Switch: Quick convenient push button switch

-Solid, heavy duty construction and High efficiency
-Lightweight and ideal portable pen size(14.5cm)

- Working Distance Range: up to 1500 m
- Output Wavelength: 532 nm

- Output Power: 50mW
- Working Voltage: Max 3.0V
- Working Current: 250mA
- Working Temperature: +5°C to +40°C
- Storage Temperature: +5°C to +50°C
- Working Distance Range: up to 1500 m
- Power: Powered by 2 x AAA Alkaline Batteries (Included)
- Cautions: Avoid direct eye exposure to laser beam

Now my question is.. is 50mW enough to light a match/pop balloons?

and is there anything else I should know before purchasing/using one?

Do I need to be wearing laser goggles when I USE the laser? or is that only when I am making/modding one?
because if other people are in the room.. I dont wanna make them go blind...

and are GREEN lasers the cheapest ones that can heat stuff up?

well, the thing is, it really depends on the company, how its built, etc. 50mw MAY, if focused to a very finepoint, smoke dark colored plastics. 50mw of green is not a reliable burner, though, so if your into burning lasers, I would recommend buying one of the Mxdl style red lasers made by the members of this forum. They wil TRULY light matches, pop balloons, and burn through thin plastics. Green lasers, like the one you found, are capable of burning, but they cost more due to the fact that they are harder and more expensive to create. a 50mw green laser, if its truly 50mw, would have a clear, bright visible beam, similar to a lightsaber like in star wars. (in appearance, not in functionality) however, if you decide to get a laser, esp. a gren one, be sure to search around for saftey goggles!
-sword

daguin

If you are looking to burn stuff up, don't look at green lasers. Look in the Buy/Sell/Trade board here. You can get both red and/or violet burning lasers from one of the builders here with more power for less money.

Peace,
dave

You should be wearing goggles for 50mW. I don't like 50mW very much because you need goggles for it, but it will be barely able to pop a balloon and unable to light a match without a focusing lens. I would go with a higher (at least 75mW) or lower (30mW or less), but that's only my personal choice.

You will not need to use goggles for a 30mW if you are very careful (don't stare at the dot for too long, don't point it at reflective surfaces, and NEVER point it at a person or animal, ESPECIALLY in their eyes!). It will not be able to pop a balloon or light matches, but you can see the beam very well at night.

You will definitely need goggles for a 75mW or up, I would recommend Laserglow or Optotronics. 75mW can pop a dark balloon and light a Sharpied match without focusing optics.

REMEMBER: Only laser safety goggles will protect you. Sunglasses and welding goggles are useless at protecting against lasers.

Or, you could build your own blu-ray (violet) or red laser pointer. They will be able to burn better than a green laser if you make them powerful enough. Check out the tutorials section for more help!

I hope you enjoy your new laser, whichever one you decide on!

-Mark

Tran

Thanks Sword, Dave, and Mark.  I never really thought about looking at red lasers.
-Tom

as dave said, your find more affordable prices here on the forum. Just don't expect to find a really cheap high quality green laser. If you search around the web, and happen to come across, say, the ledshoppe green, remember that cheaper green lasers often dont have IR filters. This means that alot of the light emitted is dangerous invisble infared light, that can damage and potentially blind you. (eventually)
have fun lasering!!!
-sword

Like most have already said... green lasers are not that good for burning unless you can focus the beam to a very very tiny spot. I have two 50mW greens and have tried to burn black tape with BOTH beams focused onto the same spot, but with no luck.

Red and BR (BluRay) lasers are better for burning.

I have a 125mW BR that will burn anything black at about 5 meters away with just a bit of focusing. At closer range, and with better fosucing, it can burn matches, burn holes in black CD cases, ect...

I am currently waiting for a 250mW red to arrive. Red's have more burning power than BR's.

If you can't get one in your country or you think that customs may confiscate (spelling?) it, then you could order just the parts for the laser, then put it together yourself.

You can get laser diodes, drivers, test loads, aixiz modules, ect.. all separately then build the laser yourself.

daguin

mike666 said:
Red's have more burning power than BR's.

Actually violet lasers have more "burning power" than reds. The spot is "tighter" and it will burn a much wider variety of colors (light and dark). Reds only really burn dark colored objects easily. It is just that for now you can get higher mW outputs from red diodes.

To burn, I would prefer a high powered violet over red. The power imbalance is changing. We are up to around 200mW of violet with the 6X. Reds (in hand held lasers) are still pretty much limited to 250mW. Yes, some violet diodes are being driven higher just like some reds are being driven higher. I'm talking about in "normal" usage. In addition, the violet diodes generate less heat than the reds so the individual "burns" can be longer.

Finally, violet laser light is just prettier than red laser light ;)

Peace,
dave

lazer

I was thinking of building another 150mw red laser is it neccesary to have a heatsink if I will only be turning it on for about a minute at a time? I want to put it in a pen style host so there is not much room.

daguin

lazer said:
I was thinking of building another 150mw red laser is it neccesary to have a heatsink if I will only be turning it on for about a minute at a time?  I want to put it in a pen style host so there is not much room.

Give it plenty of time to cool between burns

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=mike666 link=1230625377/0#7 date=1230642921]Red's have more burning power than BR's.

Actually violet lasers have more "burning power" than reds.  The spot is "tighter" and it will burn a much wider variety of colors (light and dark).  Reds only really burn dark colored objects easily.  It is just that for now you can get higher mW outputs from red diodes.  

To burn, I would prefer a high powered violet over red.  The power imbalance is changing.  We are up to around 200mW of violet with the 6X.  Reds (in hand held lasers) are still pretty much limited to 250mW.  Yes, some violet diodes are being driven higher just like some reds are being driven higher.  I'm talking about in "normal" usage.  In addition, the violet diodes generate less heat than the reds so the individual "burns" can be longer.

Peace,
dave
[/quote]

I thought I read somewhere on here that reds were just better burners than other colours?

We live and learn.

Thanks.

Tran

daguin said:
[quote author=mike666 link=1230625377/0#7 date=1230642921]Red's have more burning power than BR's.

Actually violet lasers have more "burning power" than reds.  The spot is "tighter" and it will burn a much wider variety of colors (light and dark).  Reds only really burn dark colored objects easily.  It is just that for now you can get higher mW outputs from red diodes.  

To burn, I would prefer a high powered violet over red.  The power imbalance is changing.  We are up to around 200mW of violet with the 6X.  Reds (in hand held lasers) are still pretty much limited to 250mW.  Yes, some violet diodes are being driven higher just like some reds are being driven higher.  I'm talking about in "normal" usage.  In addition, the violet diodes generate less heat than the reds so the individual "burns" can be longer.

Peace,
dave
[/quote]
Thanks. I'll look into Red and Violet lasers. I'm more into the pen type than the flashlight type though. :p

just bought one from daguin. its coming tomorrow! and boy, did i get one heck of a deal, even considering forums prices!