Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

So i bought a laser in china

Hi there guys, first post, more of a general "looking for info" etc. post

So i was in china and i bought a laser with bright "danger" printed on it (its a red laser, claims 650nm +-10 nm WL) and reads "maximum output <100mW
Ive played with laser pointer toys before when i was a kid, but this thing is POWERFUL. I didn't realise what the hell it was until i started playing at night time and i realised (esp cause its a bit smoky here in shanghai) i could shine the thing all the way to the god damn sky

Literally there wasn't a building i could see far enough away that i couldn't shine it at almost, the smoke lighted the thing and it just seemed endless
As soon as that happened i started reading safety on it and now i treat it as if im holding a handgun and i pretty much have batteries out of it all the time

The main thing im trying to do is identify the laser. The warning sticker labels it as a class 3, and earlier when playing around with it, at point blank range it burns through a black bin liner (pretty thin) (even though the laser point is about 5mm, it only burns through the centre 1.5mm, it takes about 2-5 seconds to burn through), however it has never felt hot or anything like that when held on my skin (boy do i feel stupid for running this thing over bare skin and pointing it at myself and other people during the day)

Ive been looking at prices over the internet for 100mw lasers, and im seeing prices of hundreds of dollars, i bought this thing for the equivelant of 8 dollars!
Given the information i have a strong feeling the laser i have bought is no where near 100mw (but still deserves the same safety respect for any laser pointer of class 3!)
Given what ive said, is anyone on here able to classify how strong the laser might really be?
Its always been a pet fantasy to own a laser that i can literally point at the clouds in the sky, but at the same time i don't want that at the expense of having to treat the thing like a handgun, and a potential insta blinder (im told that for something as powerful as this, by the time the laser has passed your eye its too late)
There were also lasers that said <50mw which were green and had an attachment that made a cool looking tesselating pattern for sale also (same price give or take haggling) , so im guessing that the laser i own is somewhere between 50-100mw?

Would a 100mw laser burn my skin if i pointed i at it? I havnt tried popping baloons yet but how strong a laser would you need to pop baloons?

Also given th eprice i paid for this thing, really is it possible for it to be that powerful? They are so expensive on the internet (i did haggle a lot to get it to that price though)

Thank you for any help/info i can get, it would be really useful, and also any additional safety tips and stuff (this thing doesnt even have a frickin safety switch.. i kinda wish it did, or at least a de-focuser or something that i can turn >_>)

Red lasers from 50-250mW are relatively easy and cheap to construct, so it is very possible that it is in the 100mW range.

Red wavelengths are not absorbed by the skin very well so you are not likely to burn yourself unless you focus the beam and have quite a bit of power.
Eye damage can occur, however, at as low as 5mW. Any laser of any power should be used with safety in mind.

Don't be afraid to play with it, but use common sense and keep it away from eyes and vehicles.

With respect to eyes etc - obviously i wont be pointing it at anyone but if it accidentally flashes someone how much trouble is that going to cause?

Say if i have it on and then turn it to point at something else, but it passes somebody's eyes on the way is that going to cause immediate damage?

Also is it true that green lasers are more visible/powerful?
Someone told me that green lasers are more able to be absorbed/or something so i can use it to light matches, pop baloons and i would be able to see a green beam in the sky? Or would i need a more powerful one to do that

Oh wow really need to be careful with this thing... i actually pointed it at my cousins forehead when i was trying it out.. how stupid stupid stupid

I havnt tried yet but iguess because its a red laser i wont be able to use it to light matches or anything like that (i barely feel any heat when i point it at my skin)

Has anyone had sucesss lightning matches/burning insects/popping baloons with a red laser?
Would a 50mw green laser do it? Those were on sale too (slightly cheaper, only 6 bucks lol)

yeah moving from a little keychain laser to a 100mw + is definately amazing. yeah you definately got a deal, just 8 bucks for something that usually costs 70 dollars or more. yeah its possible that your laser is as powerful as it states, china produces a ridiculous amount of cheap powerful lasers. if you can burn a trashcan liner then its most likely over 50mw. also try not to treat it like a loaded handgun, just be smart about it.

How many time can you say "yeah" in a paragraph LMAO?

You can get a 200mW red for $40, so I dont know how you pulled $70 out of your arss. And telling someone not to treat it like a handgun is completely irresponsible. Safety is always number one. And someone should always keep an eye on what they are pointing at before they pull the "trigger".

Dude lay off giving advice because you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Your rep reflects this. Try reading more and posting less.

Well, lay off the crack kid. Anything above 5mW has the potential to do damage. Let alone a 100mW red laser.

@BrTarolg, get yourself a pair of good safety goggles for 650-700nm. Your eyesight is worth a lot more than the cost of a pair of goggles.

If you want us to try identyfing it, could you please post a picture up?

Also- 100mW is enough to light matches. Try using a permanent marker/Sharpie to mark a black spot on the tip of the match. Keep the laser pointed steadily at the spot for a few seconds. A 100mW pointer should easily set the match alight.

If that fails, use a magnifying glass to focus the laser onto the match head. A 50mW laser with the help of a focusing lens can light a match. Use dark matches, not white or red ones.

50mW is enough to pop dark balloons. So your red laser should be more than enough.

Green lasers are up to 10 times more visible to human eyes than red lasers. So yes, the green will be brighter, and a 50mW green will appear solid in the night sky.

Green will also burn marginally better, as the shorter wavelength is more easily absorbed.

But even a 50mW is sufficent for burning with the help of a focusing lens such as a magnifying glass.

It is also possible that the laser was modded which if your laser stops working before to long it was a cheapie that was cranked up. And i must agree with tech-junkie even if it is 1mW be careful of where you point it it can still piss someone off if you get it in their eyes regardless of a low power and lower power doesnt mean it wont be bright. have fun but take caution.

and should you find yoursel more enthused with lasers like most of us here get some glasses like goninanbl00d said when starting to use higher powered lasers. Red glasses protect against green lasers yellow glasses protect against blue lasers and blue and green glasses protect against red lasers

Last edited:

Asherz

Codiejam, click on edit post rather than double posting, it's bad forum etiquette.

As for the laser I think everything safety wise has been covered.

I personally suggest these goggles:

Laser Glasses - Red laser beam protection 600-740nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

They will block the red light from blinding you, these will block violet upto green:

Laser Glasses - UV to Green Lasers Protection 190-548nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

Just remember to employ some common sense when using it. If you want some cheap lasers check out dealextreme.com they're popular here for cheap chinese lasers. Normally good for beginners.

I have a simular set from Laserwave and they suck. Test them before you put your confidence in them.

ok thanks for the heads up.
How much were the ones you got from laserwave?

Last edited:
Well, lay off the crack kid. Anything above 5mW has the potential to do damage. Let alone a 100mW red laser.

@BrTarolg,
If that fails, use a magnifying glass to focus the laser onto the match head. A 50mW laser with the help of a focusing lens can light a match. Use dark matches, not white or red ones

Don't do this without eye protection because it could reflect off of the glass.

diachi

Don't do this without eye protection because it could reflect off of the glass.

Typical reflections from glass are around 5%, with a <100mW laser this would give you a <5mW reflection. I'd be more worried about the actual output.