Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

smoke + lens = bad?

if you get smoke on your laser lens will it somehow damage it? and will it damage it if theres old smoke in the room or does the smoke have to hit the lens like right after it comes off a burning object?

Close. Smoke plus lens equals very bad.

I've damaged nice lenses before, by burning too closely.

If its water based fog of some kind, I'm sure the "smoke" won't damage any lens. Though if burnt contaminants "land" on your lens, your lens can easily be damaged by trying to clean the bits off. If the bits were still "burning", a loss of AR coating may result.

Close. Smoke plus lens equals very bad.

I've damaged nice lenses before, by burning too closely.

If its water based fog of some kind, I'm sure the "smoke" won't damage any lens. Though if burnt contaminants "land" on your lens, your lens can easily be damaged by trying to clean the bits off. If the bits were still "burning", a loss of AR coating may result.

Say you walk into a room where theres cigarette smoke, will that smoke in the room do any damage to a lens, or any kind of smoke for that matter?

HIMNL9

In long times, cigarette smoke is a damn bad thing for anything optical ..... tar and nicotine oil suspended particle tends to deposit on any surfaces, and being oily based and sticky, it's a pain to clean it away very good.

a short exposition will not be dangerous, but if you live in a smoking ambient, or if you are an abitual smoker, keep all your optics sealed in some smoke-proof container.

HIMNL9

^ cannabis smoke not only make your lenses dirty, also make your lasers acts "strange" ..... :p :D

HIMNL9

Well, seriously, any smoke that contain oily substances "evaporated" in the burning process, can cause problems to optics, cause with the time, the oily part tend to condensate on any surface, including lenses, and being oily, it's less easy to clean away than just dust.

Cause the most part of the cannabinoids are resinous and oil based compounds, then yes, it can cause problems similar to the ones from tobacco smoke ..... maybe they need more time for accumulate, cause the concentration is less than the tar in the tobacco smoke, but still can dirt badly the lenses, with enough time.

Well, seriously, any smoke that contain oily substances "evaporated" in the burning process, can cause problems to optics, cause with the time, the oily part tend to condensate on any surface, including lenses, and being oily, it's less easy to clean away than just dust.

Cause the most part of the cannabinoids are resinous and oil based compounds, then yes, it can cause problems similar to the ones from tobacco smoke ..... maybe they need more time for accumulate, cause the concentration is less than the tar in the tobacco smoke, but still can dirt badly the lenses, with enough time.

Thats lame. i guess ill have to be careful and just expose for short periods of time.

Last edited:

itsmei

I have recently damaged an acyril lense, luckily it wasn't a glass lense but it is still annoying. When I cut electrical tape it has horrible smoke with particles of plastic in which then sticks to the front of my laser. Just make sure you don't do close up burning and don't expose it to too much concentrated cigarette smoke. The problem is how sticky the smoke is so it is a pain to clean without damaging the lense.

Last edited: