Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

smoke grenade

does anyone like making smoke grenade.Or any other bomb/grenade(thermite).

For c0ld's sake, we probably shouldn't let this thread spiral off to flash powder and any illegal explosive/firework ("bombs") because the government has really been cracking down on this stuff lately, and the last thing we would want is for c0ld to get in trouble.

But thermite/smoke bombs are perfectly legal and can be fun to mess around with. I have a pound or two of thermite laying around somewhere that I really should do something with, it burns a little faster than I hoped for so it isn't too useful, if I think of a cool idea of something to do with it then I'll make a video. I used to love making smoke bombs though, I remember when I first got my hands on some KNO3 and I made a ton of smoke bombs....good times.

artix

styropyro said:
For c0ld's sake, we probably shouldn't let this thread spiral off to flash powder and any illegal explosive/firework ("bombs") because the government has really been cracking down on this stuff lately, and the last thing we would want is for c0ld to get in trouble.

[highlight]But thermite/smoke bombs are perfectly legal and can be fun to mess around with. I have a pound or two of thermite laying around somewhere that I really should do something with[/highlight], it burns a little faster than I hoped for so it isn't too useful, if I think of a cool idea of something to do with it then I'll make a video. I used to love making smoke bombs though, I remember when I first got my hands on some KNO3 and I made a ton of smoke bombs....good times.

How much would you charge for pound of that?

Artix said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1224813600/0#1 date=1224816946]For c0ld's sake, we probably shouldn't let this thread spiral off to flash powder and any illegal explosive/firework ("bombs") because the government has really been cracking down on this stuff lately, and the last thing we would want is for c0ld to get in trouble.

[highlight]But thermite/smoke bombs are perfectly legal and can be fun to mess around with. I have a pound or two of thermite laying around somewhere that I really should do something with[/highlight], it burns a little faster than I hoped for so it isn't too useful, if I think of a cool idea of something to do with it then I'll make a video. I used to love making smoke bombs though, I remember when I first got my hands on some KNO3 and I made a ton of smoke bombs....good times.

[/quote]
even if he did charge, it would be illegal to ship it in the mail.

Technically, if he shipped the thermite in it's components (iron oxide and aluminum powder), it would be perfectly legal... In my more "juvenile" years, I've made small amounts of TATP, ANTI, and some ANFO. I once even considered making some RDX but after nearly loosing my fingers with some smokeless powder, I quickly shelved the idea... :'(

As to all you aspiring pyros, stick to safer stuff like smokers or thermite...

Wesdaman14 said:
[quote author=Artix link=1224813600/0#2 date=1224817699][quote author=styropyro link=1224813600/0#1 date=1224816946]For c0ld's sake, we probably shouldn't let this thread spiral off to flash powder and any illegal explosive/firework ("bombs") because the government has really been cracking down on this stuff lately, and the last thing we would want is for c0ld to get in trouble.

[/quote]
even if he did charge, it would be illegal to ship it in the mail.[/quote]
Actually, you can legally ship thermite in the mail. In it's mixed form it is still very hard to light so the USPS lets you ship thermite through them.

And I'm not selling this stuff just because every time I sell something, I always find a use for it. ;D You can get some much better stuff on ebay though.

artix

styropyro said:
And I'm not selling this stuff just because every time I sell something, I always find a use for it. ;D You can get some much better stuff on ebay though.

Why cant you mix up like 50 pounds of thermite, then put up a FS thread?

How much would you sell it for? (I mean, hypothetically? ::) )

And where can I get some aluminum and iron oxide powder? Other than ebay, my mom doesn't like ebay very much... But a good Internet store?

I won't make it and sell it because I wouldn't get much profit out of it. ;D

Your best bet is unfortunately ebay because a lot of the pyro companies got screwed by the CPSC. For aluminum you don't want anything too fine, IIRC around 150 mesh is pretty good. My 325 mesh stuff burns too fast.

Some pottery stores sell aluminum powder and red Iron Oxide, so if you know of a big pottery store nearby, check them out. They also sell Copper Oxide, copper oxide thermite is fun, but it is also explosive.

Here's a link for some red thermite: http://www.pyrocreations.com/inc/sdetail/13355

I think you need some Mg, bro. You can buy a big roll of the stuff for $15 incl shipping on ebay.

Artix said:
And where can I get some aluminum and iron oxide powder? Other than ebay, my mom doesn't like ebay very much... But a good Internet store?

Seeing that you are in T-dot, look in concrete section at home-depot for "granastar red brick" pigment. This stuff is essentially iron oxide... As for aluminum powder, take a file to a piece of aluminum stock ;D. It doesn't work as well as the commercially available stuff...

Another alternative would be "poor-man's thermite". Basically crushed dollarstore sparklers with iron oxide mixed in to control the burn rate.

artix

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'll ask my dad if we can look in the concrete section at home depot. And we could go to a pottery store. Hopefully tomorrow!
(When my mom isn't home! ;D)

Any pyrotechnics made in the USA will not make it past customs. Apparently, the Canadian regulations are different and don't allow certain foreign fireworks to be imported... Oxidizing agents(potassium nitrate/perchlorate/chlorate) will not make it past the border either.