Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Skunk Smell

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Well this morning at 6AM I woke to a horrendous odor wafting through the house. :mad:

Turns out we have a skunk living under the back porch. That might have been okay, except the neighbor's dumb ass cat decided to pick a fight with it.

Which in itself might have been okay if it hadn't had occurred right next to the air intake of our furnace.

Long story short we now have a house full of skunk smell and whenever we turn the furnace on, more comes out of all the vents. :mad:

Just got home from work and the smell isn't much better. Only plus side is that we don't have to deal with the stinky cat. :p

gismo

The skunk - cat bond is there no matter what you do:D

3e53d09e86eb0ece8a0351a7f2383f07.500x363x6.gif

Love is in the air... seriously now, once the smell goes away, all be good again:beer:.

Last edited:
People say oatmeal fixes skunk smell. Have you tried filling all the vents with oatmeal and turning on the heater? I'd use cooked oatmeal; dry oatmeal would just blow out the vents and make a mess :D

Last edited:
Its too bad you don't have a couple of air cleaners with HEPA filters, that would reduce the smell and I suppose its too cold up there to be opening the windows much. Your probably just going to have to wait a few days for it to go away. We have skunks here but fortunately they aren't very common.

Alan

Not sure if it will work but-- we had a dog that got into it with a skunk- and we bought a gallon of tomato juice and bathed the dog in it- cats are not easy to bath- they may go ballistic on you- BUT washing down the areas where the skunk sprayed with cheap tomato juice may do some good-- to illustrate how strong that odor is- you can smell it when just speeding past a dead one in the road even with your car windows closed--

Vinegar may work too IIRC

GL Simon--Len

Teej

Its too bad you don't have a couple of air cleaners with HEPA filters, that would reduce the smell and I suppose its too cold up there to be opening the windows much. Your probably just going to have to wait a few days for it to go away. We have skunks here but fortunately they aren't very common.

Alan

A HEPA won't help much, as the skunk odor is primarily methacrylate compounds like thiols, etc...and HEPA filters don't filter out thiols, they are designed to remove microscopic particles, not vapors, etc.

I'd blow air into the house from whatever side there's no odor, which pressurizes it slightly, keeping odors from permeating in, and, flushing out the skunk odors that already entered.

Those odors do set into porous materials, so, it sometimes takes a few days or even weeks to dissipate enough of it.

Last edited:
Nilodor and tomato juice will work wonders
On your vents.

Hmm...

Vancouver also got quite the skunk problem too.

djQUAN

to illustrate how strong that odor is- you can smell it when just speeding past a dead one in the road even with your car windows closed--

Exactly what I experienced when I was a kid and we visited relatives in Boston. We wondered what that strong odor was while cruising the freeway and we were told it was a skunk.

Concentrated high levels of ozone, chlorine, or bromine will work very well too. Mind you, it's rather dangerous. I just happened to have these things when we had a similar problem years ago. Sadly, these days I'm all out of all but the first!

Q: Have you heard the skunk joke? A: You don't want to; it really stinks! :crackup:

Q: How do you make a skunk stop smelling? A: Plug up its nose! :crackup::crackup:

I can vouch for the tomato juice fix... not sure how that will bode with application to vents though...

When I was a kid, my grandfather was a vet - one of the old school vets that pretty much would work on anything alive. People would bring in skunks they wanted as pets and he would perform the scent gland removal surgery. Every once in a blue moon, one of the glands would rupture and he would always use tomato juice to neutralize the smell on his skin post-op.

Good luck. I know how the smell thing goes when you have to wait it out. I had a rat die in the wall of a house I was leasing and the landlord didn't want to pay for sheetrock/paint repairs to dig it out, so I had to wait months to get through the stench. I couldn't even use that quadrant of the house. Fortunately, I am a home owner now and have no issues getting a sledge hammer and going ape-sh1t medieval on walls with dead critters in them... of course, I hope it never happens again. I am a critter lover. :)

There is a tile mildew cleaner called "X-14" (basicly Chlorine bleach). Try to get some of that and then, you'll have to go under the house and wash down the intake grill. Otherwise, you'll be holding your nose a long long time.
Sorry, I feel your pain.