Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Single Servo / Galvo hack: video

I mentioned in some prior threads about a 'hack' I make on cheaper projectors to force single plane scanning, and I have some examples.

Basically I've been aquiring a box full of cheaper projectors, mostly buying them from other folks for parts because they are broke, or just can't use them because they can't quite figure out you need smoke / haze to see the beams. I support the lighting for a couple busy venues on the side, including an extremely busy 'cosmic bowling' alley that has sold out for months. I've been experimenting with used projectors in the safest fashion I can. In any case, I simply don't like 'crowd scanning' and there's really no way to get good visibility with lower powered 3-D projectors and not hit eyeballs, and most can't be programmed. Problem is they definitely increase business, so Im' stuck in a dilema. So...what I do is disable the lower galvo or servo, lock the mirror into place with a bolt or glue, and turn the thing into a 'liquid sky' sound active projector. This way I can keep them elevated at safe distances above heads, and it's a better visual effect. Now that I've proven lasers are good for business, we can budget for a nice big X-laser or two and have legitimate control over patterns.

First video is ~$250 galvo based chinese projector with I guesstimate is a 500-700mW 445, ~40mW Green, and 100mW 650. You can hear me banging on a ladder to keep it changing patterns. The white scanners in the background are Intimidator 300's, and the laser has no problem keeping up.

Second video is a Reke-01 that I've modded to be able to change diodes. This servo based unit unit is insanely popular, and frankly I wish it wasn't. It's cheap, Reke builds zillions of them, and while I don't mind the 100mW reds I see too many bands using the green versions, and the next one that hits me in the eyeballs on a Friday night I swear I'm going to throw a beer bottle at it. This one is running a 1watt 445 for testing. Going to try a half watt 638 next. I much prefer it running this way than 3-D...not that servos can do 3-D....more like 2.5D. In any respect, this is a simple hack on cheap projectors to make them more visible and drastically improve the safety factor.

MVI_4020 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

MVI_4021 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Very cool this is a few good ideas about how to use a PJ in a different way, doing this you could
potently have more PJ's around the room and in different colors, no single green's please :crackup:

Thanks for sharing :D