Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple? spirograph for laser with remote

I don't know how many of you have seen the Alany and other various knockoffs of the Mosquito Helicopter. It is a three channel helicoptor that isn't very expensive.

Alany Micro Mosquito Mini RC Helicopter Alany Micro Mosquito Mini Indoor RC Flying Helicopter [Alany Micro Mosquito] - $23.05 : Brohauns.Com, - The Best Deals On The Web!

It uses two motors to drive separate blades for the helicopter and another smaller motor to power a rear motor to act as thrust.

The good thing about this is that it moves and turns by adjusting the speed of the two small motors in front. Speeding them up and slowing them down. Which is EXACTLY the same effect as the spirograph does to the two motors in it.

These are very small and already wired to the board. The whole unit is easily disassembled and the drive on the motor has gears that press fit onto the main driver.

I'm thinking we could easily mount a piece of glass on each of these and have a ready made spiro without and other work than mounting the motors at the right spot.

Let me know what you think. I have a pile of these and I plan on trying this in the next couple months when I get to it.

Attachments

• mosquito_on_glass.jpg
    mosquito_on_glass.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 85

this could be used for some pretty cool effects... the blades will make "flashing" effects like a scanner! but I would try to control it via microcontroller, having to use a remote constantly would get annoying. You could probably control the motors with PWM or something.

will

Certainly sounds like its worth a try. Also If you disassemble the remote joysticks I bet there will be centering springs. Without them you can adjust speeds & it will hold. :san: Be sure to post pics!

@ ossumguywill: I would prefer microcontrollers for my spiros but I just want more fine control & the ability to have preset programs. PWM works with servos modified for continuous rotation & RFM12B Radios or IR works nice for remote control.
These Mini RC Helicopter would be easier tho.

Last edited:
Certainly sounds like its worth a try. Also If you disassemble the remote joysticks I bet there will be centering springs. Without them you can adjust speeds & it will hold. :san: Be sure to post pics!

@ ossumguywill: I would prefer microcontrollers for my spiros but I just want more fine control & the ability to have preset programs. PWM works with servos modified for continuous rotation & RFM12B Radios or IR works nice for remote control.
These Mini RC Helicopter would be easier tho.

Yup. The centering springs are easily removed so it will hold a position on the joystick.

I've already removed the centering springs when flying the helicopters. I just have to figure out if I can power the electronics from the heli and motors with something other than the Li-Po battery it comes with. The Li-po only has a run time of 10-15 min max.

Last edited:
Just check the voltage of the battery, and replace with larger capacity Li Ions. You can get a battery holder at Radio Hack.

Just check the voltage of the battery, and replace with larger capacity Li Ions. You can get a battery holder at Radio Hack.

Thanks. I wasn't sure I could just do that and didn't want to burn up the tiny motors. But if it'll work I'll give it a shot.

It should, volts are volts, but just do a little research first. Always good to double check.